• YES, regardless of your training level anything can happen down there

Votes: 117 50.6%
  • NO, if you & your buddy are at least PADI Rescue Diver certified

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES, unless you buy a PONY BOTTLE or SPARE AIR

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • NO, if you know your limit and respect it. you can even dive alone

Votes: 54 23.4%
  • YES, Pro divers with many years of experience still die due to unforseen circumstances

Votes: 46 19.9%
  • NO, if dont go into Technical Diving or overhead envirnoment

• YES, if you depend too much on AI computer

• NO, if you just use the plastic table and a bottom timer

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course it's dangerous. Anything can kill you underwater. Equiptment, the unforseen, a failure of your own body. But that danger is part of why we dive. We like the thrill and hearing other people say " Boy, I sure wouldn't do that!":boom:

Some dive inspite of the risks and try to minimize them to make it as safe as possible. Some dive because of the risks and eventually the thrill becomes euphoric like a drug that needs to be fed. Not a bad idea for a new poll. Do you dive inspite or because of the risks.

Lawman once bubbled...
Of course it's dangerous. Anything can kill you underwater. Equiptment, the unforseen, a failure of your own body. But that danger is part of why we dive. We like the thrill and hearing other people say " Boy, I sure wouldn't do that!":boom: [/QUOTE

I don't believe I would dive with you!:eek:

Well, OK then Capt....but why wouldn't you dive with me based on what I just responded? Of course diving is dangerous just like parachuting, motorcycling, high diving, horseback riding and most of our other fun activities. Recognizing that doesn't make me a dangerous diver.:(

the riskiest part of diving is driving to/from the dive site.

Buy quality gear, get good training, know your limits, practice your skills, pick competent partners...this helps stack the deck in your favor.

But, you can still eat it if it's your day...sometimes fecal matter impacts the air conditioning unit. Your option is to not get out of bed.

Lawman once bubbled...
Well, OK then Capt....but why wouldn't you dive with me based on what I just responded? Of course diving is dangerous just like parachuting, motorcycling, high diving, horseback riding and most of our other fun activities. Recognizing that doesn't make me a dangerous diver.:(

I'm speaking for myself, but I don't think diving belongs in that list at all. Diving, IMO, can be (and is) inherently safe. and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable diving with someone who enjoys it, at least in part, because of the daredevil thrill of it.

Hey, I did not mean it in the way it sounds.

I teach diving and like to focus on the "thrill of diving", but from a safe adventure standpoint, not a "dangerous risk" thrill seeker standpoint.

I kinda thought that's where you were coming from.....

Cheers, I would dive with you!

:D

Is diving dangerous? Quite simply no. When I first got certified back in '78 one of the things the instructor told the class was"There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there are NO old bold divers".
Funny? maybe, but quite true. His way of saying dive within your limits. I learned alot from that instructor. Thanks Howie where ever you are!

Jim

A recent study in British Columbia calculated a rate of 2 deaths per 100,000 dives. For more info on this report, see

http://www.ucbc.bc.ca/safety/Default.asp

That seems reasonably safe to me. There are fatalities and serious injuries in many sports, including boating, skiing, hockey, horseback riding, etc. I'd rather take my chances underwater, instead of risk being hit by a puck, falling off a horse, capsizing a boat, or hitting a tree while skiing. Scuba diving certainly can't be more dangerous than playing football while skiing...

Have you seen that Chart PADI publishes on how diving stacks up vs other other activities (found in several of their books including the rescue diver manual and Best of the Undersea Journal). The list comes from a 1991 study done by the U.S. National Safety Council on Accident Facts.

Numbers represent individuals who participated more than once in each sport and injury represents someone who was treated in an emergency room for an accident related to the sport or involving sporting equipment. The Scuba numbers represent reports collected by the Divers Alert Network. So for example American Football had 217 injuries per 10,000 participants; whereas Scuba 4 for 10,000.

1. Football 2.17%
  2. Baseball 2.09%
  3. Basketball 1.86%
  4. Soccer 0.91%
  5. Volleyball 0.37%
  6. waterskiing 0.20%
  7. Raquetball 0.17%
  8. Tennis 0.12%
  9. Swimming 0.09%
  10. Bowling 0.04%
  11. Scuba 0.04%
    [/list=1]

I like the Scuba vs. Bowling comparison best!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom