Is Scubapro what it used to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Internet sales does NOT mean fair game, the prices are the SAME for everyone, rule changes? Is that for LDS, now they are authorized to sell online, and for the ones already selling online, like Leisurepro, now they ARE authorized dealers and they have to adhere to same rules, so their price IS the same as your LDS. And if you haven't noticed, prices aren't set by LDS, it is set by Scubapro themselves.

They have to advertise the same price yes. MAP (Minimum advertised price) you can get better deals by just calling and asking. So not exactly the same as an LDS.

They have to advertise the same price yes. MAP (Minimum advertised price) you can get better deals by just calling and asking. So not exactly the same as an LDS.

Scubapro does not use MAP. Scubapro dictates a minimum sale price (MSRP - 10%) in their dealer agreement. But dealers can create leeway with added items and packages if they chose to compete in that manner.

Exactly the same as LDS.
You can walk into a Scubapro dealer and pick up a catalog, the prices will be listed there and ALL authorized dealers are agreed on dealer contract to adhere, advertised price is not based on minimum ox maximum, it is to be the SAME for everyone as stipulated by Scubapro.
Scubapro only allows a max 10% discount, wheather buying online or on LDS, anything different is breaking contract dealer agreement, but that is a different subject.

Exactly the same as LDS.
You can walk into a Scubapro dealer and pick up a catalog, the prices will be listed there and ALL authorized dealers are agreed on dealer contract to adhere, advertised price is not based on minimum ox maximum, it is to be the SAME for everyone as stipulated by Scubapro.
Scubapro only allows a max 10% discount, wheather buying online or on LDS, anything different is breaking contract dealer agreement, but that is a different subject.

Interesting. A person learns something new everyday. :) Thank you!

Echoing everyone here, Scubapro regs are certainly top of the line. They do redesign things to make new models. As others have noted, however, they tend only to tweek older designs in making their new designs. They tend to eschew "revolutionary" changes. But sometimes they "hit" and sometimes they "miss." Most of the time only a good technician will be able to ascertain the "hits" and "misses." Fromwhat I have heard, the Scubapro piston 1st stage remains at the very top of its class, while the Atomic 2nd stages might edge out the Scubapro ones. But we are splitting hairs here, I suspect.

For my part, I avoid making hair splitting decisions by sticking with my MK10s, R109s, and R108s. They serve me nicely in cold NorCal waters. See below: that's Point Lobos this past weekend. Two MK10s mounted on a Scubapro isolation manifold, which is mounted on dual Scubapro/Faber MP72s. 49F, max depth 95'.

tn

All the problems I see with Scubapro are with their business model and their tactics.
Besides that they are good regs.
I have an older MK20/G200B that was my first new reg and the other new one I bought was a MK2/R190 as a pony reg.
All my other regs I got used. My main reg now is a MK5/109BA with a 109 adjustable on a necklace.
I like it better than the plastic ones.
I have a bunch of other regs people have given me over the years, MK3, more MK5's, Conshelfs, double hoses, Dacors.
I'll probably never buy a new reg again, no need to, the old stuff works just as well.

The impression on Platinum dealer meeting on this side is that the parts for life issue is firm and dealers were encouraged on creative solutions of their own.

Thats a problem. Used to you could walk in and buy a only regulator and get PFL. I think you could buy a first or second stage alone and still get it. Now you have to buy a complete lift support system. Scubapro regulator and Scubapro or Subgear BCD and Computer. How many people buy all 3 at once? Really? Sure some do. I did. But im not the norm. A lot of people used to get one or two parts at a time. Then upgrade a system at a time. In 2 or 3 years if Scubapro comes out with a new regulator I will have zero interest. No PFL on the new reg. I would have to turn around and buy a BCD and computer too to get PFL... That bull. I love Scubapro but can no longer justify the premium without the added service. Scubapro/local dealers loss. I buy lots of gear. They will have to work for it. Everyone else is willing to. Its not the dealers fault but they have to watch their large item sales plummet.

I cant believe SB had the balls to encourage dealers to come up with their own options! Hey we all 86ing one of our biggest selling points. You guys are on your own and have to makeup for it some how "inhouse". What a deal! I cant see why more dealers where not excited about that.

Look at it this way. A MK25/A700 is $800. A Hog D1 1st/2nd is $260 online. I havent found anyone yet(not that they are not out there. just not on here.) that has said the Hog D1 is inferior to any SB. The Hog has a 2 year service interval and 1 year inspection. How years can I go if I buy a new Hog D1 every 2 years before I spend $800? My local dealer told me he didnt trust "those other brand" when Hog got brought up. Funny how the people who have never used a Hog regulator have the biggest opinion about them. He comparied Hog to a Sherwood Gemini Breathable Inflator. I told him once he dove and broke one apart Id take his opinion into account.

I want SB and my local dealer to do well. Without the service/warranty they cant make it on "brand" alone. Brand can only go so far so long. I want the old Scubapro of yeaster year. They started off as a highend prograde line. How many commercial divers use them now? Now days the professional end of SB is the marketing.

Theres another 2 cents in the jar. lol

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2012 at 10:05 PM ----------

All the problems I see with Scubapro are with their business model and their tactics.
All my other regs I got used. My main reg now is a MK5/109BA with a 109 adjustable on a necklace.
I like it better than the plastic ones.

I love those metal bodies! They just dont build them like that anymore.

Atomic today occupies the niche that ScubaPro had many years ago, good performing but wildly overpriced gear. There are many other brands out there that perform as well (or better) that ScubaPro or Atomic (I for one would rather not have a piston regulator). If you want an established brand with great support, I'd look to Oceanic or Mares, if you want the best performance for your buck ... I think HOG has what it takes.

I second the mention of Hog regs.
They are the future of how dive gear will be sold and serviced.
It's all about the internet baby!

Frankly I think the PFL was a scam anyway. You got free parts for life (parts that had a bizarre level or markup to show the "savings") and you paid through the teeth for the labor (compared to say shipping your regulator to someone like Professional Scuba Repair, who does know how to service it). The PFL scam was to get you back into the store every 12 months and yet not really cost the store anything because you were captive to their labor charges. Buy a HOG ... use it for two years, sell it on eBay for a third of what you paid for it and buy another ... you'll come out way ahead, and (IMHO) you'll have a better regulator. If you want you can even take the same "factory" class that other do to learn how to fix it, and HOG is happy to sell parts to you!

Back
Top Bottom