Is Scubapro what it used to be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapro is still the best. They have a full line of regs., B.C.'s and gear.

They continue to introduce new and exciting products, but still sell & support 40 year old classics.

For example, the new nova's and the Jet fins; the new MK17/A700 and the MK2 plus/G250V.

They still support regs that are decades old.

IMHO, Scubapro's customer service is # 1.

Next year, I will have 40 years diving their gear.

I just did 26 hours on the new X-Tek backplate in Cozumel.
However, I still love my classic!

They do??
Then why was I told that I couldn't get a face plate for my G200B circa 1998?
They wanted to sell me a whole new upgraded "kit" of some sort for around $300.
*BUT* -and they said- that if I had kept up with the annual services they would have warranteed the face plate. Please explain to me what an annual service record and a shattered face plate have to do with each other? They couldn't explain either.
I just wanted a godamn face plate, pretty simple really. That should be about $35 tops.

Do you sell exhaust T's for 109's? They were still made less than 40 years ago.

You mean:

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted as true is really true, there would be little hope of advance." - Orville Wright.

No thats not what I meant, but that quote shows his wisdom.

I do understand why you say that - it is your job.

And I do agree. There are probably not many reg techs that could make a living as a plumber.

It really has nothing to do with why I said that. It's simply my opinion, and besides that I wouldn't call doing a few regs a month "my job." I could make more at HEB stocking shelves than working on regs for a living! :)

--

Id like a hog to play with. The last set I saw in the shop we (4 people) couldn't make breathe worth a crap without free flowing. That can't be the norm. There's way too many people that know how to tune a reg swearing by them.

And I do agree. There are probably not many reg techs that could make a living as a plumber.

Plumbing is way harder without a doubt. But, plumbers have to actually go to school, do an apprenticeship (typically for years), pass exams, and get a license. And lots of them still suck! The sole requirements for being a regulator technician are working at a dealership and taking a one-day no fail course. It's a good thing regulators are so easy to work on, because if they weren't, this type of sham-training would result in A LOT of disasters.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 07:29 AM ----------

Id like a hog to play with. The last set I saw in the shop we (4 people) couldn't make breathe worth a crap without free flowing. That can't be the norm. There's way too many people that know how to tune a reg swearing by them.

When the sherwood SR1 came out a friend bought one and I was surprised at how terrible it breathed, yet he swore up and down that it out-performed his G250. Peoples' perceptions of regulator performance are very subjective.

I'm curious about hog performance as well. I suspect that, like the vast majority of regulators out there, they perform perfectly adequately. Regulators are a fun hobby, and I enjoy tweeking mine for maximum performance, but in truth almost anything will work fine and allow you to enjoy the dive.

....Id like a hog to play with. The last set I saw in the shop we (4 people) couldn't make breathe worth a crap without free flowing. ........

Perhaps you should call a plumber; or maybe a pig farmer.

They do??
Then why was I told that I couldn't get a face plate for my G200B circa 1998?
They wanted to sell me a whole new upgraded "kit" of some sort for around $300.
*BUT* -and they said- that if I had kept up with the annual services they would have warranteed the face plate. Please explain to me what an annual service record and a shattered face plate have to do with each other? They couldn't explain either.
I just wanted a godamn face plate, pretty simple really. That should be about $35 tops.

Do you sell exhaust T's for 109's? They were still made less than 40 years ago.

I suspect that any of the full size. similar looking SP face plates will work on your G200B - it just will not have the correct logo. Then again, if that were correct, SP would have told you that and taken care of your problem - wouldn't they???? Just looking at part numbers, it is clear that the G200/200B and the G250 use the same case. I'd bet they still support G250 front covers.

I put an S550 purge cover on my R295 to make it easier to store with the purge depressed. Thankfully, SP does not do much unnecessary engineering.

Exhaust Ts and rubber covers are often available for the 109/156. I think they re-run a batch every now and then based on demand.

Great regulators (like so many), usually. Company business practices leave a lot to be desired.

BTW I finally picked up one of your plates. My wife says she is going to stick with here TransPac so I guess I'll just have to suck it up and use it myself. Love it when a plan comes together.

WOW, that is ridiculous assumption. Do you even know James?

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

Since you said it, these were professionals

1) Plumber for nuclear submarines
2) Pig Farmer from Iowa
3) Temporary Laborer
4) The technician

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 03:42 PM ----------

Plumbing is way harder without a doubt. But, plumbers have to actually go to school, do an apprenticeship (typically for years), pass exams, and get a license. And lots of them still suck! The sole requirements for being a regulator technician are working at a dealership and taking a one-day no fail course. It's a good thing regulators are so easy to work on, because if they weren't, this type of sham-training would result in A LOT of disasters.

---------- Post added May 20th, 2012 at 07:29 AM ----------

When the sherwood SR1 came out a friend bought one and I was surprised at how terrible it breathed, yet he swore up and down that it out-performed his G250. Peoples' perceptions of regulator performance are very subjective.

I'm curious about hog performance as well. I suspect that, like the vast majority of regulators out there, they perform perfectly adequately. Regulators are a fun hobby, and I enjoy tweeking mine for maximum performance, but in truth almost anything will work fine and allow you to enjoy the dive.

In My Opinion: No better, No worse than a Dive Rite, or the Apex, or the Zeagle, that look just like it.

WOW, that is ridiculous assumption. Do you even know James?

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

All I know of James is what he has posted including his profile:

I am not sure if this makes you a "thoughtful contributor," but it was funny either way!

I wanted to use a "your momma" joke, but SB seems to be a bit uptight lately so I left it alone.

I am flattered to know people are checking up on me :)

--

I still think it's easier to fix a toilet. I didn't say that I think reg work is easier than the whole trade of plumbing, as it's clearly not even close. I guess on SB you need to specify such things because people love to twist what you post around for you in order to suit their agenda or opinions.

A toilet, though, is still pretty freaking easy to fix. I wish someone would just flush this thread down one, actually.

:rofl3: We are on an Internet forum. :rofl3:

---------- Post added May 21st, 2012 at 04:25 PM ----------

I wanted to use a "your momma" joke, but SB seems to be a bit uptight lately so I left it alone.

:rofl3: You should, because we are on an Internet Forum. :rofl3:

I wanted to use a "your momma" joke, but SB seems to be a bit uptight lately so I left it alone. ..
.​

Go ahead ... I give you safe passage across the wasteland.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom