Is this mask toast?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's the one I bought recently. In white. It's a beauty, maybe a little expensive at $159, but it's really solid.

SCUBAPRO's FRAMELESS is diving's original frameless mask, and it's still the best. Its distinctive rectangular single lens shape is classic, providing an excellent field of view on the periphery as well as straight ahead. The soft silicone skirt is comfortable yet durable, and the double-edge seal feels good against the skin. The buckle system is easy to use and allows for quick adjustments. Buckles attach to flexible tabs on the skirt; this optimizes strap angle when dialing in fit. The wide headband spreads the load on the back of the head, greatly enhancing comfort. After decades on the diving scene, the original FRAMELESS continues to be the mask of choice among professional divers throughout the world.
LOL 🤣

I’m in the sign business and we use Bon Ami on glass all the time. Nothing gets glass cleaner than Bon Ami. It’s standard practice to clean glass with Bon Ami prior to doing any lettering, painting, or reverse glass gold (mirror gold or bank gold). A thin gelatin solution is used in distilled water then brushed on the glass followed by floating sheets of 23K gold leaf on. When the water evaporates the gold sucks down onto the glass and looks mirror like from outside. If the glass is not 100% clean the water won’t sheet out, and Bon Ami is the only thing that works.
I use it on my auto glass and it never scratches.
I use it on my dive mask and it has never scratched.
If you don’t believe me try it on some glass in your house or on a glass you don’t care about. Wet a paper towel and sprinkle some Bon
Ami on it and rub the glass. When its clean let it haze off then wipe it clean. You’ll see.

If you want to actually get rid of a scratch in glass I have some other stuff for that.
That may be - but there must be a reason that the manufacturer doesn’t recommend it for use on glass. I suspect that it has the potential to scratch in some use conditions. I actually have no need to use something quite as abrasive on my coated Paragon lenses, so I’d never chance it. A little flame and toothpaste has worked perfectly for me.

That may be - but there must be a reason that the manufacturer doesn’t recommend it for use on glass. I suspect that it has the potential to scratch in some use conditions. I actually have no need to use something quite as abrasive on my coated Paragon lenses, so I’d never chance it. A little flame and toothpaste has worked perfectly for me.
I think it’s a CYA issue.
There might be an issue with glass that has a high lead content. Once upon a time when lead was legal they used to infuse it into ceramics and glass to bring down the melting temperature and also make the glass more flexible. Neon sign tubes were heavily leaded and so were glazes used for porcelain metal signs. Dishes at one point had a lot of lead infused in the glazes because it brought down the firing temperature and sensitive gilding and hand artwork wouldn’t get destroyed.
It’s possible that some plate glass was also infused with lead and it made it more flexible and resistant to breakage but also softer, so maybe that’s when they said “don’t use it on glass”? Bon Ami goes back to 1886 so maybe glass scratched more then?
All I know is that in this modern age of lead free glass Bon Ami doesn’t scratch it and I will continue to use it for a lot of things including keeping my mask clean.

Yes, on subject, you need a new mask. The debonding will continue and ruin a dive for you eventually, and dive trips are more expensive and irreplaceable than a dive mask. Even as a spare, I would not trust it.
Yeah, it's toast. I was thinking that even if I had it replaced with another one new I wouldn't trust it either.

I think it’s a CYA issue.
There might be an issue with glass that has a high lead content. Once upon a time when lead was legal they used to infuse it into ceramics and glass to bring down the melting temperature and also make the glass more flexible. Neon sign tubes were heavily leaded and so were glazes used for porcelain metal signs. Dishes at one point had a lot of lead infused in the glazes because it brought down the firing temperature and sensitive gilding and hand artwork wouldn’t get destroyed.
It’s possible that some plate glass was also infused with lead and it made it more flexible and resistant to breakage but also softer, so maybe that’s when they said “don’t use it on glass”? Bon Ami goes back to 1886 so maybe glass scratched more then?
All I know is that in this modern age of lead free glass Bon Ami doesn’t scratch it and I will continue to use it for a lot of things including keeping my mask clean.
I'm going to get some to clean glass around the house. Joneill made a decent point about the manufacturer's recommendation but I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers of diving masks also do not recommend using open flames on masks.

I have always used toothpaste, seems like any basic white toothpaste works great. Work it into the lens and the skirt and let it sit a spell, then rinse it out really well. And for mask clear a small spray bottle with 40% Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo and distilled water. Or just regular water OK. This always seems to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom