Is wearing bright, visible colors underwater useful?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the flip side if it's a 'bad thing' then please explain why as well. Is 'ninja black' just more fashionable? :-D More seriously there are threads about not wearing 'shiny' jewellery, and I imagine that reflective tape might fall under that category, no?

Interested in hearing opinions about one of the OP's other points. IIRC, most threads about shiny (metallic) jewelery (or dive gear) are concerned about barracuda 'attacks'. Based on that, I'd infer that bright synthetic colors might not be an extra attraction with non-shark hunting carnivores above just being more visible than dull ones if conditions are murky. Opinions anyone? Would retroreflective-type visibility tape or strips also be sufficiently different from normal prey that hunters wouldn't specifically seek it out as familiar food?

I will speak on behalf of everyone in my AOW class that took place over the weekend. on our deep dive it was about 39 degrees and no body was using a drysuit, all wets. those flashlight are very purposeful for getting attention and checking for possible nitrogen narcosis. it was dark down there and king of hard to see things without a flashlight, out instructor had on bright green fins, a strobe on his tank valve, a light green wetsuit and little strobes attached to his bcd. needless to say we didnt lose him. but on out shallower dives with the open water class there seemed to be a couple people struggling with staying off the bottom of the floor so there was silt everywhere. so those very bright colors were sometimes the only thing that kept us with him. so IMO it is extremely important if your viz is lowor has the possibility of bring low (rain and other bad weather conditions). Even if your in clear water it could help you locate your buddy specifically if your diving with a bunch of people, i dont think it would help to wear brighter colors. especially if your stranded your definitely going to want bright colors if you want to be noticed and rescued.

Interested in hearing opinions about one of the OP's other points. IIRC, most threads about shiny (metallic) jewelery (or dive gear) are concerned about barracuda 'attacks'. Based on that, I'd infer that bright synthetic colors might not be an extra attraction with non-shark hunting carnivores above just being more visible than dull ones if conditions are murky. Opinions anyone? Would retroreflective-type visibility tape or strips also be sufficiently different from normal prey that hunters wouldn't specifically seek it out as familiar food?

I've heard this before, but never one story of "it happened to me". I think it is an urban myth.

Most people just edit the post and leave either 5 periods . . . . . or <deleted>. :)

I wear all black except for my fluorescent lime green fins, helps everyone in my family locate me, even with low vis. Everyone in my family has reasonably easy to spot fins, helps us immensely in keeping together.

Good diving, Craig

I wear bright colors so it's easier for people to see me. So far I haven't been eaten by a shark and I've swam with a few of them. :)

Didn't Myth Busters prove that sharks like to go for yellow fins?

That aside most of my gear is black or grey and one suit has a bit of yellow on it, another is blue and white. Thinking of buying silver fins next as my current black ones are beginning to fall apart.

Please try the ScubaPro Seawing Nova before you buy anything else (they have them in white). They are the best general purpose fin I have ever used. Good propulsion without too much fatigue, and very easy on the ankles in strong currents.

Please try the ScubaPro Seawing Nova before you buy anything else (they have them in white). They are the best general purpose fin I have ever used. Good propulsion without too much fatigue, and very easy on the ankles in strong currents.

I have bought online another pair of Mares fins to replace the 20yr old ones I currently use

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom