Island Divers Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FettSolo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks,

There was a job posting recently on Divescover for a position at Island Divers Hawaii, and I was curious as to what people think of this shop - management, how they conduct the dives, etc. I read some threads about ID, but they were all 2010 and earlier, so I would love some more up-to-date information.

Obviously this is a public post, but please feel free to PM me.

I dive with these guys, over the past 2 years in particular they have been making some incredible upgrades to their operation and have become one of the largest and most efficient operations I've ever come across. Really slick routine with 5 boats and 4 locations and apparently still growing...

We are diving with them in March for a few days (I wanted to do more, someone short and blonde has other things she wants to do...you know how that goes). We'll see.

The only negative so far is that when I booked our spots a few months ago they required full payment up front, rather than a deposit. It's not a deal-breaker of course, but I didn't expect it.

A good friend of mine went to work for them after managing another shop in Honolulu. She is a top notch instructor and knowledgeable diver. If you get a change to go diving with Mary, take it.

I used them on our last trip and would probably use them again. (Hawaii Kai Marina)
Things I liked:
Joe Curcio, boat captian. Super chill guy. I felt like he knew what he was doing, he was confident, in charge, but not a controlling jerk like some captians I've delt with. He went through the safety routine but made sure everyone was ready, had all their stuff etc. No rushing about, this guy is totally on island time.

John Miller, super nice guy, made everyone feel like they were important, smiled when someone retold the story of the dive......that he was on. Safety conscience dude, helped my wife relax a bit. I think he was the DM on day two of our trip, (unless they have two wide shouldered bald dudes working there), and I cant recall a DM ever checking on a group more than him. He counted persons and checked psi often, again my wife liked that.

The Boat. Nice, big, lots of room for your stuff, did not feel crowded at all. They hand out warm, mint scented, moist cloths for the SI. My first thought was whatever....but its a nice touch.

Communication. Easy to contact, reservations were easy to schedule. I believe they rotate staff to watch the phones and check emails.

Things I did not like:

Rotating the staff to watch the phones and check emails. This is a problem, no one knew what someone else did the day before. There were several people who came in expecting to dive or snorkle and their card was declined when they made reservations. Because the person taking reservations was on the boat crew the next day, they either forgot to contact the customer or didnt care because they were out of the office the next day.

Office management. It doesnt exsist. We arrived early for our first day of diving and watched the mahem with amusement. Everyone gets to do everything so no one does it well. Everyone thinks their in charge of everyone else and when a task doesn't get done, it's always "not my fault". With the exception of the DM and boat captian, no one knew what was going on or what was scheduled, who had paid or if the boat was still docked. I asked the local guy sitting next to me "Is it always like this". He replied "Yes, but I like the boat so I keep coming back. I think the owner lives some where else, like California, so it's always like this". Cannot verify this simply repeating what was said.

Maxine Markert. I cannot tolerate this person, she has the demeanor of a drunk sorority pledge. I have never witnessed a person more loud, rude, and non-helpful than this women. She did absolutley nothing on the boat related to her job, and I'm not exaggerating..... nothing. I wouldn't want to work around her, or even book a dive that involved her. If I go back and she's on the boat crew, I will reschedule or have a sudden onset of motion sickness.

If your looking for a job, most everyone there you could probably work with, except Maxine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom