Island Hoppers Regional Caribbean Airlines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have fond memories of our island hopping adventures with Cessna's and Twin Otters. While not Caribbean our Twin Otter flight to Seghe in the Solomons was memorable, followed by our SVG air flight from Barbados to Bequia then landing at Union.

I have fond memories of our island hopping adventures with Cessna's and Twin Otters. While not Caribbean our Twin Otter flight to Seghe in the Solomons was memorable, followed by our SVG air flight from Barbados to Bequia then landing at Union.

My husband loves taking twin otters and other small planes to vacation destinations. It's a high-point of the trip for him. I am not as big of a fan of it as he is but I go along cause it makes him happy. When we went to San Salvador they weighed both the passengers and the luggage before boarding, and racing directly toward the sea to take off from the tiny Saba airstrip was quite exhilarating!

Last edited:
I got a kick out of our Solomon Air Twin Otter as the flight manual was from Viking Air. They are one of my customers who I supply material to. So if you are flying on one, good chance I have a hand in it (albeit a small one!)

Our 1st flight home was a problem (1st of 6 flights). Due to a mixup with the TA she didn't book our outbound flights out until close to our travel date. There wasn't availability online for that day but she made it "work". Uepi clears out on Friday so the whole resort (-2 who stayed for 2 weeks) 15 people with dive gear + a logging CEO and assistant was way too much for that little plane. After 30 minutes of sitting on the strip the pilot worked everything out. So us 3 plus 1 CEO flew north and took a Dash8 from there to the capital while everyone else took the Twin Otter to the capital, 2 minutes behind us! On the Dash8 we had tea and coffee :). Only downside was the Indian logging CEO was constantly looking at his haul of logs on his cell phone. I wonder how long until the islands are stripped and ocean covered under runoff.....

The only way to fly to Saba is with Win Air and their Twin Otters. Saba has the shortest commercial runway in the world.

Good thing they have the trades winds to help them (and those big Otter engines!)

Back
Top Bottom