ISO Cayman resort with dance space and snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tursiops

Marine Scientist and Master Instructor (retired)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I'm looking to bring a group of 16-24 divers and snorkelers to a place that has room for us to do some Scottish Country Dancing, maybe 3-4 evenings during the week. We need a decent floor that is maybe 20x30 ft or so.
Some of the group only snorkels, so easy access to decent snorkeling is the second requirement.

Our last group trip was to CoCo View, and that worked out fine. Previous trips have been to Bonaire, that was OK too.

But it is time for the Cayman Islands!

Any suggestions?

thanks

When are you planning your trip? The Brac Reef Beach Resort on Cayman Brac is a small, diver-dedicated all-inclusive resort with great diving, terrific food, and an excellent dive op. They also have a conference center for meetings and weddings that I think would meet your needs.

But they are closed right now for remodeling and will re-open in early November; see the link below for more information about the resort and diving.

Cayman Island Dive Packages |Brac Reef Beach Resort | Cayman Brac

One place that comes to mind is The Reef resort on the east end of Grand Cayman. I haven't been there in a long time, like before they redid a lot after a hurricane, but I seem to remember a decent size dance floor in the indoor restaurant. No idea if it's still there or it's availability though. You could dive with the newish on-site op, or go a few minutes down the road to Ocean Frontiers. Snorkeling off the beach there or next door in front of Morritt's is pretty good and the pool area is nice.

Another would be Little Cayman Beach Resort (sister resort to Brac Reef Beach Resort.) They have a small conference center that would probably be suitable. Great diving and place for a group, although not good for snorkeling right there off the beach (lots of sand and turtle grass.) But snorkeling from the boat works at some sites and since you'd have a group should be easy to work that out. People could also paddle over to Owen island which is supposed to be good snorkeling, though we've still never gotten around to it in at least 6 trips there.

Thanks for that info, KathyV!
My first-choice dates are June 4-11, 2016.

---------- Post added August 6th, 2015 at 01:08 PM ----------

One place that comes to mind is The Reef resort on the east end of Grand Cayman. I haven't been there in a long time, like before they redid a lot after a hurricane, but I seem to remember a decent size dance floor in the indoor restaurant. No idea if it's still there or it's availability though. You could dive with the newish on-site op, or go a few minutes down the road to Ocean Frontiers. Snorkeling off the beach there or next door in front of Morritt's is pretty good and the pool area is nice.
It is now the Wyndham Reef Resort, and was suggested by my travel broker...but I have to say their website makes it seem like scuba diving is an afterthought!

Another would be Little Cayman Beach Resort. They have a small conference center that would probably be suitable. Great diving and place for a group, although not good for snorkeling right there off the beach (lots of sand and turtle grass.) But snorkeling from the boat works at some sites and since you'd have a group should be easy to work that out. People could also paddle over to Owen island which is supposed to be good snorkeling, though we've still never gotten around to it in at least 6 trips there.
I'd love to go there, but they don't have space for my prime dates. They also get thumbs down from lots of folks on snorkeling, and they want $125 each time we use their conference center!

Thanks for the suggestions; still looking at the Wyndham.....

Thanks for that info, KathyV! My first-choice dates are June 4-11, 2016....

Great! They have been advertising that they will be offering specials to unveil the newly remodeled resort so maybe they will be willing to work with you on the space request in order to bring in a large group. Good luck!

You might talk to Sunset House and see what they can do to provide the dance floor. They do have the room if they are willing to dedicate it to your need. They offer very good snorkeling and diving from their property. 7-mile beach mostly has very pretty white sand for the snorkelers.

I was also thinking of Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman, but I don't know if they would have space for your dancing activities.

Last edited:
I am intrigued by the merged interest in Scuba and Scottish Country Dancing. It's just surprising (to me) that there is a group of people that share such diverse interests. How did your group come about? I am guessing that you are connected to the Scuba Dance organization because their can't be many folks looking to both dive and Scottish Country Dance in the Caribbean! Well, good for you, doing what you enjoy!

http://www.scubadance.org/

Yes, that's my site. I invented ScubaDance.
I figure there are maybe 3 dozen divers who are also Scottish country Dancers....but there are a few more each year! My wife and I met doing SCD, I was already a diver, she is now a MSDT, and has certified a number of the folks that go to ScubaDance. You can catch a U/W video from the first ScubaDance in 2002 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPGEL7H4VM.

Yes, that's my site. I invented ScubaDance.
I figure there are maybe 3 dozen divers who are also Scottish country Dancers....but there are a few more each year! My wife and I met doing SCD, I was already a diver, she is now a MSDT, and has certified a number of the folks that go to ScubaDance. You can catch a U/W video from the first ScubaDance in 2002 at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTPGEL7H4VM.

Looks like you guys have a lot of fun! You know the Caymans are a British territory and have a great deal of Scottish ancestory in their history. The Deputy Premier for the islands is named Kirkconnell - a very common and prominent Scottish name across the Cayman islands. We will be staying in Bodden Town during our next visit to Grand Cayman, another common name in the islands.

It seems to me that Mr. Kirkconnell (or someone else in the tourism department) should be willing to help your group find a way to enjoy your diverse passions that also celebrate the industry and heritage of the Cayman Islands. It would certainly make a good feature article in the Cayman Compass! So it might be worth reaching out for some "official" help! Just an idea, good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/CYBLCmosesk

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom