Italian-made traveller's wing: Fly Tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Angelo Farina

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well, it appears that here in Italy we have two companies producing two conceptually-similar BCDs, both with the same name, Fly Tech.
These are wings already equipped with harness, which can be used also without a backplate (but it can also be used, if wanted). Of course for travelling better to leave the backplate at home...
Here the two BCDs, both named Fly Tech:

fly-tech.jpg

Fly Tech | BCD | DiveSystem

Fly-Tech.png

Bags Sport Diving Products - FLY TECH BCD

The great difference is the price. The first is very expensive (479,20 €), while the second is super-cheap (155,00 €).
Both companies are known here in Italy, albeit not famous as the major brands. The first one (Dive Systems) is mostly famous for being supplier of military and public service equipment, the second one (Bags Sport) for having been a long term OEM supplier for Scubapro, Seac, Tigullio and Mares. Someone says that is manufacturing also for Dive Systems (and this could explain two similar products with the same name).
So the question is: has anyone here purchased any of these? What's your opinion of these BCDs?

I am sure they are exquisitely made. But, IMO, a simple Hogarthiam harness and standard D-ring configuration is more simple. The internal bungee type wings, aka VDH Argonaut type again, IMO, are superior to the exteranl bungee "bondage" wings.

I love my two old school Italian bicycles. My next motorcycle after I tire of my Triumph Triple will be a Ducati Scrambler. I bought a new Alfa GTV6 in 1985, it never made it home. It broke down and they could not get parts. They took it back and gave me another, it also did not make it home. I gave up at that point and got a BMW. LOL.

N

Of course for travelling better to leave the backplate at home...
I would expect an aluminum backplate with a simple harness to be comparable weight wise and less bulky packing wise that that harness set up. Why leave the backplate at home in favor of that?

18kg/40lb horseshoe wing is not the right design choice for a travel bcd. looks like they copied the old dive rite approach of bungeeing down a small doubles wing to try and make it usable with a single tank without tacoing badly.

the price is low at least, but you can also find imported donut wings and aluminum plates that low now too. would likely work better.

I would expect an aluminum backplate with a simple harness to be comparable weight wise and less bulky packing wise that that harness set up. Why leave the backplate at home in favor of that?
Something like this?
Bags Sport Diving Products - GAV DIR30
Only problem is that it weights 7 kg (stainless steel plate) instead of 3 kg. I would be happy to leave those 4 kg at home...

I would be happy to leave those 4 kg at home...
So use an aluminum plate instead of a thick stainless plate.

However, from a bulk stand point, that does look like a much better travel option.

Aha, Bags Sport from Sori.

I have been diving his wings for the past two years, same goes for my girlfriend.

Just to be clear: The wings and jackets Bags sport in Sori makes are not the same as Divesystem. Different people different company, different factory. Dive system is a big brand, but Bags Sport seems to be a solo operation.

They are well built and dirt cheap. I bought the 45 dir harness + backplate + wing for a total of 250 euro two years ago. My girlfriends wing + softpack cost 150 euros. I bought an extra 3mm SS plate with it for 60 euro's, so her complete package was 210 euros.
You can't even buy an oms harness with that money.

My girlfriend dives the fly tech with the internal bungees(the bottom one). It works. I'm not fond of it. but since the bungees are only on the inside, they are not an entanglement hazard. The wing is very compact and also works well for 7x2 liter doubles.

I feel qualitywise they are not as durable as for example finnsub. I think the inner blade is a 240 poly with a 600-800 denier outer shell. But let's be honest, there are plenty of manufacturers asking premium bucks for wings that are just as thin.

Just as a little reminder for anyone interested in these. The softpacks are ****, I'd replace them with a standard bp first thing after I buy them.

They are well built and dirt cheap. I bought the 45 dir harness + backplate + wing for a total of 250 euro two years ago. My girlfriends wing + softpack cost 150 euros. I bought an extra 3mm SS plate with it for 60 euro's, so her complete package was 210 euros.
Are you happy of your DIR45 (or DIR40)?
It looks too large for me, I was thinking about the DIR30 instead, as an alternative to the Fly Tech with Alu plate:
Bags Sport Diving Products - GAV DIR30
Does it have internal bungees? Is the BP made of SS or aluminium? Weight?
I would prefer aluminium as this should be my travelling BCD...
Small, light, and cheap, so if it gets lost is not a big trouble... But better than the average rental BCD which you find all around the world, generally crap.
In your girlfriend's system, is the harness attached to the alu plate?
And how did you manage to have a Fly Tech with internal bungees?
Do you have any photo of her's system?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom