I've decided on an Apeks XTX50 or 200 - help with the specific package details

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the best single tank hose routing comes from using the left post hose routing from a set of doubles and adding the long hose to the swivel turret. The one big downside is use of a drysuit with a single first stage, but if you are diving wet, I think this is the best hose routing for backmount singles.

The OP lives in Oregon. Probably a reasonable chance he'll end up diving dry before gets to the point of using doubles.

which is what i said with the ATX saying it has an upgraded case design, I left Zeagle out, but correct on the 1/2" lp port, I forgot about that. Adapters do exist for them though, but with the DST it isn't an issue because you can spin the turret around and plug the 1/2" port.

regarding oregon, that's fine because you still have an advantage from the 5th port where the regulator is at a 45* ish angle, and the short hose comes out the right, long hose down the bottom, and both inflators off of the left side of the turret

Hi guys, I know there's a million reg threads and I've received much good advice. However I have some specific questions in regards to the Apeks kit I've settled on for a number of reasons - and am now only wondering about packaging this kit in a final form.

My girlfriend might be getting the same kit as well, so I may be able to sweeten a package deal by buying 2 sets.

As I understand, the Apeks XTX50 and XTX200 only sell together as a kit and come bundled with the "XTX50" or XTX200 first stage, which is a FSR or DS4 style first stage. Yet many recommend going to the 5-port swivel turret "DST".

How does this work when buying a kit? Can't seem to find a bundle that has the DST. And then I see they also have an Apeks 5 port adaptor kit...

Want to make sure to get the desired first stage bundled together.

Next, it seems retail for the XTX50 kit is $575, but a doubles kit (before negotiating a deal) is $1150 - so $575 for each 1st stage/2nd stage kit. But then also includes about $100+ worth of hoses and $50+ SPG - so a sweeter deal, especially if negotiated down (something like this):

DS4/XTX50 Doubles Package - Dive Right in Scuba

Finally, I'd want to snag a DIN to Yoke adaptor.

What's the most effective way to bundle this and make sure I get the first stage I want? Any specific parts or pieces to look out for when I order to make sure I don't get the wrong part number?

I was thinking the following:

• 1x Apeks XTX200 second stage (my primary) - also open to the XTX50 but was thinking the dual porting might be nice for future SM or tec options down the road in a few years
  • 3x Apeks XTX50 second stage (My GF's primary and her octo, plus my octo)
  • 2x Apeks First stages... the bundled "XTX50 first stage"(?) VS the DST first stage, and how to buy the right bundle or kit that has this? VS a 5-port adaptor, etc.? My GFs could be a DS4 or whatever, but for mine I'd like to get the 5 port swivel turret
  • 1x SPG (my GF already has one to use)
  • 2x full sets of hoses (mine + my GF's) - I want MINE to be GUE/DIR compliant. I think she'll likely stick to standard PADI but she might be open to swapping to the DIR philosophy here

don't bother with the xtx200 unless if you are getting it as a package with the FSR. you have to ask for the 5th port separately to be added as the only set that comes with it pre-installed iirc is the sidemount set which is pretty expensive. i did see one set go for roughly 780 dollars on ebay recently though.

Cases and parts kits are the same for all second stages, -20 to -200, and TX to XTX.
turret

the way you worded it made it sound like the tx, atx, and xtx all have the same casing which is not the case. the casing is the same within a series, but not shared between the different series.

regarding oregon, that's fine because you still have an advantage from the 5th port where the regulator is at a 45* ish angle, and the short hose comes out the right, long hose down the bottom, and both inflators off of the left side of the turret

I don't know. Even if I had a 5th LP port on the bottom, for single tank use, I think I would still just use the side ports for primary, secondary, LPI, and dry suit. The 45 degree down angle would be nice for the reg hose that goes under my arm and for the dry suit inflator. But, it would also mean the other reg hose and LPI would be sticking up at a 45, which I would not like.

This does now have me thinking about ordering a couple of angle adapters to go on my 1st stage for the reg hose and dry suit inflator.... Hmmmm....

negative.

45 is probably a bit exaggerated, you only want it angled enough so that the long hose doesn't bend against the tank. On some regs that may be 45* if they are long nosed, on a DST it will be a lot less than that assuming a tall tank valve, but on a short tank valve it may be again closer to 45*. The only hose going "up" is the secondary regulator hose, both of the inflators are going "down"

I have been using DS4 for single or double since 1998. No problem with the routing.
And I have one DST which I use it only on a deco tank. The 5th port on the DST does not offer any advantage on single tank. DST is quite a big reg and with the 5th port it really stood out.
If I must have the 5th port then FSR is the only option because of its smaller size. BTW, only the latest FSR can accommodate the 5th port.

For BM twin set, FSR on the left post and DS4 on the right post.

The only hose going "up" is the secondary regulator hose, both of the inflators are going "down"

Yep. That was my bad. I meant that the LPI would be angled down and have to bend back up to go over my shoulder. Not that I think it's unusuable, by any means. Just that I don't really see any real issue with back mount single tank and a 1st stage with no 5th LP port on the bottom. The 5th LP port does not seem to make a 1st stage "better" for single tank BM. At best, it's just "different".

Tbone has provided a really good summary of Apeks regs - 1st and 2nd stages - in Post 8. I will add a couple of comments based on my own experience with Apeks, and some admitted personal preferences.
  • 1x Apeks XTX200 second stage (my primary) - also open to the XTX50 but was thinking the dual porting might be nice for future SM or tec options down the road in a few years
  • 3x Apeks XTX50 second stage (My GF's primary and her octo, plus my octo)
I see no point in buying a XTX200 2nd stage. The difference between that and the XTX50 is cosmetic. I would go with 4 XTX50s. I have 20s, 40s, 50s, 100s, and 200s. For my money the 50s work well for everything I do, recreational and technical. Having said that, an argument could even be made for the XTX40, which is identical in performance to the 50, but does not offer a User Adjustable Breathing knob. While I have UAB on almost all of my second stages, and personally prefer having it, I seldom use the adjustment to be honest. And, others on SB have made the same comment. Yes, I suggest the 50 across the board for you and your girlfriend. But, if you get a deal on a 40, think about it.
Can't seem to find a bundle that has the DST. And then I see they also have an Apeks 5 port adapter kit...
It seems odd that you can't find a reg set with an XTX50 2nd stage and a DST first stage. That is actually the 'preferred' Apeks packaging (even noted on their website: XTX50 Regulator). There isn't anything wrong with a DS4 / XTX50 pairing, I am just surprised that you are having difficulty finding a DST / XTX50 boxed set. For years I have dove some swivel / turret first stages, including the Zeagle 50D (the Zeagle equivalent of the Apeks DST). They work fine. I don't see any conspicuous advantage of a swivel / turret for single cylinder, backmount diving, but there is nothing wrong with them, either. I don't see any substantive advantage to adding the 5th port, either. I have a DST with a 5th port, and one without, and hose routing with either is easy for single cylinder bacvkmount. One caveat in your case: you do mention the possibility of expanded diving in the future, and a DST, and a 5th port, might serve you particularly well in the future if that turns out to be the case.
Finally, I'd want to snag a DIN to Yoke adaptor.
You can 'snag' an inexpensive one on eBay - there really isn't any need to pay a full, new price. And, there isn't any difference of note across adapter brands. I have Zeagles, Dive Rites, and Apeks adapters, and dislike all with equal enthusiasm, for single cylinder backmount diving. They are a pain in the neck, or more specifically, in the back of the head. I dive DIN cylinders at home, and am forced to accomodate yokes when traveling to the Caribbean. But, instead of using an adapter, I simply convert my DIN DST or 50D to yoke (takes about 30 seconds) by swapping out the DIN bolt for a yoke bolt, and adding the A clamp. That may be beyiond where you are right at the moment, but it is something to think about in the future.
  • 2x full sets of hoses (mine + my GF's) - I want MINE to be GUE/DIR compliant. I think she'll likely stick to standard PADI but she might be open to swapping to the DIR philosophy here
I am not sure I would give full credit to PADI specifically (or any other agency) for a 'standard' hose routing :)), although I know what you mean - 40" alternate second stage hose, shorter (usually 36") primary second stage hose, etc. But, I would encourage you, to encourage her, to adopt a better approach right out of the gate with new regs, i.e. a shorter hose on the alternate second stage, with that stage positioned right below the chin on a bungee necklace, and a longer primary hose suitable for donation in an OOA situation. For that matter, that longer primary hose doesn't have to be a 7' primary, or even a 5' primary - you can configure a much better approach with 'standard' hose lengths. Simply use the 36" hose - formerly the primary - as the alternate second stage hose, and use the longer (40") hose as the primary. Those are not ideal lengths but still better than a 'standard' configuration. But, since you are looking at buying new hoses for new regs, why waste money with 'standard' lengths. There is a definite (and I think, inexorable) movement toward a 'primary donate' regulator configuration in recreational diving and you should configure you regulators in a manner to facilitate that approach. Whether you call it 'GUE/DIR compliant', or something else, the configuration remains the same. Even PADI is showing signs of moving in that direction :))) - the changes in the PADI OW program implemented several years ago emphasize 'active donation' of the alternate second stage, rather than simply passively allowing a stressed OOA diver to search for it in the (Bermuda) triangle.

I appears that you are looking at DRIS as a possible vendor. I agree with tbone - call them up and discuss what YOU want, and ask them for an 'all in' price. Don't simply look for, or accept, the bundling approaches you see online. A competent Apeks dealer can get / create the configuration YOU want, rather than just sell what they have.

Back
Top Bottom