JAMA & Omega-3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubMariner

C'est Moi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hey, Doc!

First, I'd like to thank you not only for all the great work you do on the various boards (I see you EVERYWHERE) but also for your excellent cyber-newsletter "The Ten Foot Stop". What great reading! :D

Anyways, to my question. One of the articles in the Newsletter pertained to a study by JAMA on "the Intake of Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Risk of Stroke in Women". The conclusion seemed to be "...the data indicated that higher consumption of fish and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is associated with a reduced risk of thrombotic infarction, primarily among women who do not take aspirin regularly..."

Exciting news! But exactly WHICH types of fish are they talking about? And are there other sources of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids?

Inquiring minds HAVE to know. :wink:

~SubMariner~

If you can't include enough fish in your diet (this is the brazen advertisement part) go to my website ( http://www.rexall.com/dreamseeker ) and click on "Products" and then search on "Fish Oil" - Our Essential Fish Oil is an excellent one.
Rick

Most of the fatty or oily fishes have higher levels. This is the source of some of the fascination with salmon as a health food.
There is also thought to be some benefit along that line from olive oil.

Bear in mind that most of the studies using capsules of fish oil or extracts of various vitamins haven't worked as well as the parent food. For instance, we know that larger intake of fruits and vegetables has major health benefits, but a larger intake of the vitamins contained in the fruits and vegetables doesn't necessarily produce the same benefit.
We have some fascinating correlations between various parts of the diet and various diseases, but using supplements to simulate diet change doesn't always work.
There's a lot more to tomatoes than just vitamins and potassium, and we don't know which components are most critical.
Eat well and dive safe,
John Reinertson

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom