Jan 2015 Cayman Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbnewton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to Grand Cayman Saturday. Anyone Able to report on conditions this week?

Sure. Water temp = 82 degrees F. Weather is sunny, moderate wind. Viz is mixed: poor at Turtle Reef, for example, but pretty decent at sites off 7 mile beach. Of course, all this can change in a few hours.

We are arriving on Saturday, as well. Here's to hoping that the viz at Turtle Reef cooperates since we are staying next door and would love to dive there quite a few times :)

We are arriving on Saturday, as well. Here's to hoping that the viz at Turtle Reef cooperates since we are staying next door and would love to dive there quite a few times :)

You've got a great location. Hepp's Wall (deep) and Hepp's Pipeline (shallow) are at your front door. You can rent tanks from Duncan. Hope the viz cooperates.

Thanks for the info! Our friends are renting gear for the week from Duncan - he has an incredibly good rate. It's their first dive trip as newly certified divers, so they didn't want to start investing in gear yet. So far Duncan has been quite easy to work/reserve with. We are very hopeful we can do some dives off the property while we're there. It's one of the reasons we picked that spot, aside from loving Macabuca's reef/food/bar.

What is the property? Who is Duncan? Would be interested in learning more about a rental in that area.

Here's the condo we are renting: CoCoCondo - Your Home away from Home in the Caribbean. I found it on FlipKey and VRBO, but it has it's own website with loads of information, which I liked. Duncan runs Stingray Watersports, which is an on-site dive op (also appears to have kayaks, deep sea fishing excursions, and paddleboarding). A full gear rental including a 3mm shortie is $125 for the week, which may be normal for the island, but I thought was a pretty good deal!

He is referring to Coconut Bay condos - just north of Macabuca. I've stayed with Duncan many times. Good guy and Shaggy and Paul who help run the dive op are equally as good. Condos are very spacious, clean, and of course good access to shore diving. I think this place is one of the hidden gems on the island.

The dive platform over there has improved quite a bit since I started staying there. There are now showers, rinse tanks, and a wooden walkway to the iron shore. It seems like they're adding more and more each time. Plenty of tanks and weights are always available and ready to use any time of day.

Really, the only downsides of staying there are 1) distance from Georgetown/SMB (may be considered a good thing), and 2) being on the northwest corner, the area is prone to current. But, when it's good, it's REALLY good - better than Turtle Reef.

As far as his dive op (Stingray Watersports), he has several boats, but I've only dived from his Newton 46. Very spacious boat, plenty of room to spread out. Leaving from Morgan's Harbor for the north wall (when it's the season), it's a very quick ride to the wall. Otherwise, he'll leave from West Bay dock.

Don't know if it's just my groups, but I will say that if you expect hand-holding and valet diving, this isn't it. You will be expected to setup your own gear, switch tanks, etc. Some may find this to be annoying, others (myself included) don't mind at all. In fact, if you're the anal-retentive type, you'll probably prefer this.

If you want a guided dive, stick with the group. If you're experienced and want to do your own thing, they'll allow that as well. Really the best attitude to have as a dive op IMO.

One nice thing about them - they meet and leave from the dock promptly at 9 (not 730 like other ops). Kind of nice to eat a leisurely breakfast, get ready, and then head over.

Have fun!

Last edited:
To the OP Dbnewton -

The wind forecast looks fantastic for the coming week, if the conditions are reflective of this prediction then you will enjoy some of the best conditions that we have had on island for weeks.

Shore dive sites should be good.

Your timing seems to have worked out very well indeed, see you when you get here!

To the OP Dbnewton -

The wind forecast looks fantastic for the coming week, if the conditions are reflective of this prediction then you will enjoy some of the best conditions that we have had on island for weeks.

Shore dive sites should be good.

Your timing seems to have worked out very well indeed, see you when you get here!

That is great to hear. We fly this morning so as you said perfect timing. Thanks for the update.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom