Jelly Fish Sting 3 months ago and still have rash

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
3 months ago, while diving in N.C. I got stung by a jelly fish. Well I think I was a jelly fish. The vis was 5 feet, did not see it. When I got back on the boat, my neck was iticing badly. About half the people on the boat had the same itch. My problem, I still have red pimple rash on my neck. Three months later. Is there anything I should do or care about?

ScubaMarc:
3 months ago, while diving in N.C. I got stung by a jelly fish. Well I think I was a jelly fish. The vis was 5 feet, did not see it. When I got back on the boat, my neck was iticing badly. About half the people on the boat had the same itch. My problem, I still have red pimple rash on my neck. Three months later. Is there anything I should do or care about?
You and some of the other divers may have swam into the larve of jelly fish. This happens quite a bit in the Playa Maya in Mexico too.

If you are still weraing the same wet suit, you may want to wash it very thoroughly and use some bleach. This will help get rid of what larve may still be present.

For reasons outside of my control, I have not dove in a month(it is killing me). Any when I do, I use my drysuit, not the wetsuit I used in N.C.

Thanks for the reply

Well I myself try to be macho about almost everything I do as far as self medicine is concerned. But if something was really bothering me and I couldn't figure out what it was, I'd go to my local physician and find out what was the matter.

I wonder if you have some larvae actually inside your neck.... not a pleasant thought I know!

I got stung by a jellyfish in Formentera near Ibiza last year. My sting took months to go away but I took antihistimane tablets and that eased it. They say you should pee on it or pour vinegar on. Didnt have any at the time though.

I got stung several years ago and it took several weeks before it stopped itching and changing colors...and I think I'm pretty normal now :wink:

Some types of stings can leave marks for years...and some are even permanent..but if it was a milder sting (ie no hospitalization or excruciating pain) it will likely go away.

the stinging cells of some types can get imbedded in the skin, leading to continued irritation. If you saw what the jellyfish looked like, look it up in a marine life ID book. It would be a good idea to have the name of it, perhaps email DAN with the name of it, and one of their physicians will email you back with the best course of treatment.

I would imagine the sooner you get in to see your Dr., the sooner you will feel better.

I would not suggest trying to pee on your neck...it would take a very steady aim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom