Jellyfish concentration in Andaman Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to this post, What Does A Box Jellyfish Look Like? ....

There are 2 types of Cubozoans being Carybdeid (single tentacle Box Jellyfish - Morbakka, Irukanji etc) and Chirodropid (multi tentacle Box Jellyfish - Chironex, Chiropsalmus etc) with both types very present in Thai waters and both packing a seriously nasty sting.

In addition, the text book, Venomous & Poisonous Marine Animals, A Medical & Biological Handbook, ISBN 0 86840 279 6, describes Morbakka types as "fire jelly" (p. 244) producing "Irukandji-like' reactions from these carbydeids, including low back pain, muscle cramps, nausea, vomiting, headache and a "feeling of doom"....

Hence, the literature at hand on Morbakka describes the creatures as quite dangerous, associated with large carybdeid stings and "Irukandji-like" reactions.

Acknowledgment: I would like to thank Dr. Kamonsak Tangchai, Diving Medical Officer, Naval Medical Department, Royal Thai Navy, for recently introducing me to this excellent text, Venomous & Poisonous Marine Animals.

Last edited:
It is good then we are not talking about those jellyfish here.

The truth of the matter is that we do not know what jellyfish the original poster's wife was stung by. There has been no description of the jellyfish and no photo, so we cannot conclude anything about the genus or species.

Edit: Also, we don't have any description or photo of the sting site.

Also, please note that even very venomous jellyfish can cause minimal harm if the contact area (envenomation area) is quite small. There is a video of an Australian researcher tagging a (hand size) deadly box jellyfish, which he claimed had enough venom to kill 15 full size adults; he was holding it by the bell (top, non-venomous area) and he accidentally touched a tentacle with his finger. He was stung, but the contact area was so small his off-camera assistant simply splashed vinegar on it and he continued his work.

One small take away point is to always have plenty of vinegar on any dive trip. Also, if you are concerned about these creatures, be sure to wear full body suit protection, gloves and boots. (I do.) In that case, nothing will be exposed to hazardous jellyfish except some neck and face areas. Various hoods offer further head and neck protection.

Last edited:
Since this happens sometimes in the area: yes, we can come to conclusions about the species.

... and so if you can come to a conclusion about a jelly fish you have not seen and you can name the species, please actually name it.

What is the species you believe stung the original poster?

Maybe you can start with learning how to read?

The Op was not stung, his wife was.
I did not say I can name the species.

I can just tell you that this happens sometimes, always the same species. I have been stuck myself below a ceiling of them, so we know some of them sting, but nothing spectacular.
I am not an expert on jellyfish and do not know the species, but know enough about them to know these are not box jellyfish.

Maybe you can start with learning how to read?

The Op was not stung, his wife was.
I did not say I can name the species.

I can just tell you that this happens sometimes, always the same species. I have been stuck myself below a ceiling of them, so we know some of them sting, but nothing spectacular.
I am not an expert on jellyfish and do not know the species, but know enough about them to know these are not box jellyfish.

Actually stevenl, I can read very well. In fact, I realized after my post that I accidentally wrote "the original poster" versus typing "the original poster's wife", but because this typo had little significance to the discussion at hand, I did not correct it (because it really does not matter if it was the man or his wife on the topic of species of jellyfish in Thailand, as jellyfish don't really care about our sex as humans - sorry about that).

If you want to get defensive and aggressive over this topic, I am sorry you feel offended. I did not expect a factual discussion would offend you. Sorry if you are offended about jellyfish and species. For me, I have no personals feelings either way, I am simply interested because I am currently doing research in this area and am "fact finding". I was hoping you had facts, when you posted:

Since this happens sometimes in the area: yes, we can come to conclusions about the species. - stevenl

You claimed (your words), "we can come to conclusions about the species" and I have kindly asked you, that since you claim we can come to a conclusion about the species (your words, not ours), kindly and please tell us the species (as you claim).... (sorry again this has offended you).

Now, you are apparently angry and starting to hurl insults at me because you have seemingly made a mistake (or perhaps a typo). Now you are claiming you actually do not know the species. That's perfectly fine, I accept you made a error (perhaps a typo), no big deal.

As a side note: As you can see, I can read and write, and I can do it very well in English and can also read (poorly) in Thai, so I'm glad this discussion is in English. If was in German. Danish, Russian, Arabic, French or Swedish, you would certainly be correct that I can't read, LOL. However in English, I assure you I can read, but I do make typos. Sorry again to have not corrected it, but I did not think the sex of the person stung, or the fact it was the man or his wife, was relevant to a discussion on species of jellyfish in Thai waters.

Anyway, back to facts, I attach a very good paper on jellyfish stings in Thai waters. I have a number of papers on this topic, but this one is particularly well written. I hope you enjoy it. I have many others, and most are not very comprehensive and the information is often conflicting.

One of the problems in Thailand (perhaps worldwide) is that there are few good studies that identify species of jellyfish in various coastal waters. In fact, many probable incidents of deadly (or very serious, non-deadly) jellyfish stings are reported as "heart attacks" or "drownings" or "allergic reactions". I am currently conducting a literature survey on this topic, hence, I'm interested in facts (species, populations densities, probability distributions, etc.)

Hope you have a nice day.

Attachments

• Jellyfish Thailand JTM.pdf
    159.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
I am having a fine day, thank you.

As mentioned, we can conclude this is not the box jellyfish you were talking about. So no, no mistake, simply a conclusion.

Good luck with your research.

There are jelly fish in Thailand's seas; both in the Gulf and in the Andaman Sea. Actually there are jelly fish in nearly all seas and oceans in our world. Some of them sting and some don't.
Box jelly fishes (nasty little buggers) have apparently infrequently been seen by some divers and other people in Thai waters. They are uncommon in Thai waters though and chances are you you will never ever see one when you dive or swim in Thailand.
I have dived the last 20 years extensively in Thailand, both in the Gulf and in the Andaman Sea. I have never seen or even glimpsed a box jelly fish. Chances are good you will neither....

Yes, all documented studies on the box jellyfish, especially the smaller "peanut" Irukandji box jellyfish state that you are unlikely to see the Irukandji even if it is within one meter and you are staring directly at it.

In addition, as you mention, the chances of actually being stung by one is very low (you are also unlikely to see the Irukandji, even if it stings you). Studies show that the chances of being actually stung by one (seriously or fatally) is about 1.5 per million tourists in Krabi and 0.5 per million tourists in Trat provinces (paper attached).

The chances of actually seeing one of the nasty creatures is much less, because many of the more troublesome cubozoan species are nearly impossible to see (fingernail size, transparent), even in the best visibility, and much more difficult to see in low visibility diving conditions.

However, if you are the unlucky person who does encounter one, all these statistics mean very little, because it then becomes personal, it goes without saying. There is always a trade-off in tourist areas between awareness, education and tourism perception and business revenue. Naturally, all over the world, governments, tourist trade associations and local businesses all tend to down play the risk, while people who have had a relative or friend seriously injured tend to over play the risk.

What is the most important for all concerned are facts, not speculation and hand-waving. A number of very credible organizations have issued warnings in Thailand; including DAN and the Thai government. There are a number of ongoing (poorly funded, it seems) research programs looking into this area, and it is important that divers, especially divers who are taking photos, photograph box (or box-like) jellyfish, and document the sightings. DAN is currently doing research into this area, and has requested this information.

If anyone spots a suspicious jellyfish, is stung by one, etc. please take a photo (if possible) and log as much details you can, and forward on to DAN.

As for me, I have not seen a jellyfish (any kind) in any of my recent dives in Pattaya; but LOL, the visibility is normally so low and the current (often) strong on the reefs (where I dive) that it is hard to see anything..... but it makes for some thrilling drift dives :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom