Jellyfish concentration in Andaman Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is the paper mentioned above (attached)... Had some trouble attaching it earlier .....

Attachments

• jellyfish_thailand_survey.pdf
    205.8 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Thank you for all of that frd. While we cannot know simply from the post by the OP what sort of jelly was in the water and that stung his wife, I can say that this spring between Phuket and Krabi there have been literally thousands upon thousands of big jellies with dome-shaped bells covered in white spots: Phyllorhiza punctata, I believe they may be. We do see them seasonally here, but I've never seen them in the quantities that have been present this spring. For some reason, this season many of them had pink-tinted oral arm lobes. I suspect that the warmth of the water and the resulting plankton growth attracted larger numbers than usual of these jellies to our waters this year. Each one of these jellies is capable of filtering roughly 50 m3 of seawater per day, so this must have been a real banquet for them!

It's important to note that while there were/are at times lots of them in the water, they are not a problem for the general population of divers since their "sting" is extremely weak (only strong enough to incapacitate their plankton prey).

Last edited:
Hi Quero,

Thanks for that update on Phyllorhiza punctata.

One thing we (the dive community) might consider to do in the future is create one or more Google Map(s) where we place markers for various sightings (maybe a photo, or description, size and density estimates, date). Researchers could then use the data to correlate various jellyfish sightings, temperatures, tides and seasons. Having a better understanding of how seasonal effects influence jellyfish is something that the authors of (the few) scientific papers have concluded. This, of course, is even more critically important when discussing (and hoping to understand) highly venomous cubozoans.

One thing we (the dive community) might consider to do in the future is create one or more Google Map(s) where we place markers for various sightings (maybe a photo, or description, size and density estimates, date).

I doubt if you would get a lot of help from the (professional) diving community with this. Most people (divers and non-divers alike) do not like (read:hate) jelly fish and rather completely avoid them than try to look for them.
Also, "advertising" the possible existence of and being stung by highly venomous creatures in Thai waters to prospect dive-customer on web-boards, forums and the internet in general will in all likely hood result in some of those people looking for other places to go diving.

I can read and understand from your posts that you are really into jellies and especially the criminally lethal sort. I respect and understand that because I too have a weakness for soft bodied creatures (nudibranchs and some not to be disclosed other "creatures") but I can guarantee you that your passion and interest for jellies is not shared nor understood by the general dive public and dive operator.

Something HOT for you to look into is the harvesting of HUGE amounts of large eatable jellies in inshore waters close to Ranong and Kawthaung (Victoria Point, Myanmar). It's quite a sight to see the local longtail boat fishermen scooping tons of jellies out of shallow water and overloading their small boats with these slimy creatures.
It's quite a sight!

PS: I've tried eating them with some fish-sauce and chilly but I find it's really not all that great to eat.....

I can read and understand from your posts that you are really into jellies and especially the criminally lethal sort. I respect and understand that because I too have a weakness for soft bodied creatures (nudibranchs and some not to be disclosed other "creatures") but I can guarantee you that your passion and interest for jellies is not shared nor understood by the general dive public and dive operator.

Actually, I am currently interested in all venomous creatures in phylum cnidaria; I also agree with, as you indirectly indicated, there are a lot of "dive professionals" are also not interested. However, I have been lucky, I guess and my recent experience has been that many people are keenly interested. Yesterday I spent the day with a PADI Course Director and he was very interested; and asked to borrow the textbook that I have on loan from a Thai Dive Medical Officer.

While I do understand that a lot of people may be of the belief that burying potential information about venomous and poisonous marine creatures is best for their business interest; I also believe that there are many dive professionals who understand that the best way to insure safe diving is to (1) have accurate information and facts about potential marine hazards (2) understand the marine environment as much as possible and (3) be prepared for medical emergencies that might occur on a dive to a fellow diver.

Pilots that carry passengers have deep knowledge of air hazards and they discuss them openly. The fact there is wind shear and storms in the sky does not stop people from flying. The same is true for just about every professional, because a professional is defined by their ethical responsibility (not their ability to general income); and that ethic is normally defined where "money is less important than their responsibility to others and society as a whole".

In Thailand I have certainly met some dive professionals who are very interested in a better understanding of hazardous marine life, three in the past week in fact. One was a PADI Course Director and one was a medical dive officer and one is a DAN executive. Each of those (three) professionals was very keen on the overall topic of cnidarians and how to protect divers from them and also how to diagnose and treat the unlucky few diving associates who have nasty encounters with them.

Knowledge benefits everyone. Frankly speaking, as a recreational diver, I've just returned to diving (a few months ago) after a long time not diving. This week I finished one 500 page text book on venomous and poisonous marine animals, and read at least 10 academic papers related to the same topic, specific to the Thai marine ecosystem. I still feel like I know very little! On the other hand, I have a special appreciation now to not only "look at the cute fish and colorful corals" but to "be on the lookout for potential hazards" for myself and fellow divers (seems like a good buddy to me ...)

I cannot imagine myself claiming to have thousands of dives (just my view about myself, not others naturally, no disrespect intended to anyone) and, at the same time, have little knowledge of the creatures and hazards that exist in the world we spend so much time in. My experience is that there are many divers and "dive professionals" who also have a keen interest in the marine ecosystem, including developing a basic understanding of the potential hazards in the marine environment.

Last edited:
I have a special appreciation now to not only "look at the cute fish and colorful corals" but to "be on the lookout for potential hazards" for myself and fellow divers

If you mean that during your dives in Thailand you will be on the look-out for box jelly fish than I wish you good luck. Be prepared to do thousands of dives and maybe you'll be "lucky" enough to find one. I read somewhere in your posts though that they are small and often extremely hard to see so that will give your search another twist.
To me it sounds like looking for a needle in a hay-stack....

If you mean that during your dives in Thailand you will be on the look-out for box jelly fish than I wish you good luck. Be prepared to do thousands of dives and maybe you'll be "lucky" enough to find one. I read somewhere in your posts though that they are small and often extremely hard to see so that will give your search another twist.

Together with this post by you;

There are jelly fish in Thailand's seas; both in the Gulf and in the Andaman Sea. Actually there are jelly fish in nearly all seas and oceans in our world. Some of them sting and some don't.
Box jelly fishes (nasty little buggers) have apparently infrequently been seen by some divers and other people in Thai waters. They are uncommon in Thai waters though and chances are you you will never ever see one when you dive or swim in Thailand.
I have dived the last 20 years extensively in Thailand, both in the Gulf and in the Andaman Sea. I have never seen or even glimpsed a box jelly fish. Chances are good you will neither....

In less than 2000 dives in 11 years in Thailand, I've had two encounters with box jelly fish, one on Chaweng beach where a student of me was stung by box jellyfish in November 2003 and a recent encounter, earlier this year in the Gulf of Thailand, 6 hours by slow boat from Pattaya, of which I posted a link to pictures;

Morbakka with 4 small fish surrounding it

Morbakka with 4 small fish entangled

As frd already explained, there's always a trade-off in tourist areas between awareness, education and tourism perception and business revenue. In this respect I'm involved in a project that has (ideally all) hotels around the island place first aid boxes with vinegar on the beaches in front of their hotel with instructions in three languages of what to do, English, German and Thai.
The theft of vinegar can be avoided by colouring the vinegar with food colour fluid.

On my part, I'm very interested in knowing about box jelly fish, since the facts are clear for Thailand, they are around, nothing to be really worried about, chances of being stung are small, but due to my awareness, I was able to recognise the Morbakka's off Pattaya and take pictures of it, much to the enlightenment of the experts, of whom I have lots of regular contact with on this topic.

On my dive blog I write on a regular base about the box jelly fish and those posts receive more hits on a monthly base than any of my dive related posts.

I think that thee are more people interested in this topic than you assume, Bowmouth.

Last edited:

There are a lot more venomous creatures in the marine environment in Thailand (and everywhere in the world) than "just" box jellyfish. There are blue-ringed octopus, a variety of species of box jellyfish, dangerous corals and sea anemones, lionfish, scorpionfish, stonefish, sting rays, cone shells, crown-of-thorn sea stars, sea cucumbers, venomous sponges, and other venomous creatures.

Everyone (especially dive leaders, boat masters, and DMs) should be on the lookout for these creatures as they dive. When divers are aware of them in waters they dive, divemasters should mentioned them on pre-dive briefings (things to be aware of), and if a diver sees them while diving, they should give the "danger sign" to their fellow divers. (Note: It would be good if pre-dive briefings would be more like group discussions versus one-way announcements, but that is a topic for another day.)

The point is not to "look for needles in haystacks", but to be aware of the marine environment divers are diving in. If a diver sees a box jellyfish, they should report it immediately. If they have a camera or a photog in the water, they "could" safely snap a photo (far away from the creature and long tentacles, of course - or maybe just get away and forget about photos!). If there is a confirmed box jelly in the waters a recreational group is diving in, and someone does happen to see one (Chironex fleckeri for example, can be up to 20 cm in diameter, but Carukia barnesi [Irukandji] is only around 2 cm !) there should be a boat recall and divers should exit the water. As mentioned, the chances to see one are remote, but none-the-less, a chance does exist.

I have a work-in-progress Google document where I'm starting to list various venomous marine creatures in Thailand, which is basically some personal "notes" as we continue to get more information (and wade through the misinformation). Anyone can contribute to it if they have a Google account (the doc has a long way to go, but the document straw man is in place):

Venomous Marine Creatures in Thailand - Work in Progress

As mentioned, this document has a long way to go, and I'm still working on it. If anyone wishes to contribute, please do and enjoy!

Edit: Please note that as we get more data, we will include a "risk profile" for each marine hazard, which basically will be a qualitative intersection of the elements of risk, namely (1) vulnerability, (2) threat and (3) criticality. If anyone is interested, I can elaborate on these three "elements" of risk and risk management.

Last edited:
[...]
On my part, I'm very interested in knowing about box jelly fish, since the facts are clear for Thailand, they are around, nothing to be really worried about, chances of being stung are small, but due to my awareness, I was able to recognise the Morbakka's off Pattaya and take pictures of it, much to the enlightenment of the experts, of whom I have lots of regular contact with on this topic.

On my dive blog I write on a regular base about the box jelly fish and those posts receive more hits on a monthly base than any of my dive related posts.

I think that there are more people interested in this topic than you assume, Bowmouth.

That's four so far that I know of (personally, direct first hand knowledge, not including authors of books and papers I have yet to meet and others to meet someday) ....

Two PADI course directors, one DAN executive and one funrecdiver -- I assume there are many more, but time will tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom