Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think I'd want to get whacked in the head with a size XL Jet fin either.

Jet/rockets fins are a Great fin and one that I still use however Fins are a personal choice, just like masks no two are a like. I suggest you try out as many as you can. I know in my shop I have demo Fins and highly encourage divers / skin divers to take a few types to the pool and see what they like better. Remember trying fins in a pool isn’t as good as actually diving the fins in currents and such but it will help you make a more informed decision about what fin is right for you.
As per the .45, The Marine Corps is still issuing them for certain Special Operation units. Force Recon gets the MEU/SOC 45, (A basic 1911 with a ton of modifications) and DET 1 "MAR SOC" had Kimber make a 1911 to fit their needs. Kimber release a similar one for the public a few years later called the “desert warrior”. I own a few handguns back in the states, and have fired most of the popular brands; my preference is still the 1911. But just like Fins it’s a personal choice, the single well magazine just fits in my hand better.

Chris!!! Is that you?!!! How was the "reflection" for you? Learn anything... :lotsalove:
Doug is well down here and has had me working with a number of his new students over the last couple of weeks. I am still using the splits, cant afford the atomics you rich guys use... :eyebrow:

Semper Fi, right?!

Jim

I know it’s an odd title for a thread – but please bear with me.

Are jet fins the Colt 1911 of the SCUBA world? This is a real question - I’m actually considering buying a pair.

A bit of background - The Colt 1911 .45 cal handgun has been around, well, since 1911. It was and remains very popular and was the official sidearm of our military until 1985. However, since 1911 there have been many advances, and there are many sidearms that out perform the 1911. The military got wise and changed – and you don’t see many law enforcement officers that carry the 1911. However, there are tons of people out there that just can’t let go – there are a million articles written, modifications galore and many spin-off guns based on the 1911. I even fell for the hype years ago and bought a very expensive SS Colt 1911 Officers Model – worst gun I’ve ever owned! Jammed constantly and never performed well. Sold it and bought a Berretta .40 cal…

Anyway, enough gun talk since this is a SCUBA forum… And on to my question… The Jet Fin has been around since the 60s, in about the same form, and again, there have been a lot of advances since then. I know there are a lot of die-hard fans that swear by them… But is it the same type of situation as the 1911? Are these people ignoring the better performing fins and just not letting go for sentimental reasons?

Another issue is the price of some of the “high performance” fins… Out of control!

Thanks,
Brett

First of all, there are a great many Law Enforcement Officers that carry 1911 .45's. In fact, many of them prefer it over the .40 cal. Second, there are many manufacturers other than Colt that make the 1911 .45. I have two Kimbers that are beyond compare, both in quality and reliability. As for comparing a 1911 .45 to SCUBA fins, apples to oranges. Get your facts straight, do some real research and make an informed decision.

Are jet fins the Colt 1911 of the SCUBA world? This is a real question - I’m actually considering buying a pair.

A bit of background - The Colt 1911 .45 cal handgun has been around, well, since 1911. It was and remains very popular and was the official sidearm of our military until 1985. However, since 1911 there have been many advances, and there are many sidearms that out perform the 1911. The military got wise and changed – and you don’t see many law enforcement officers that carry the 1911. However, there are tons of people out there that just can’t let go – there are a million articles written, modifications galore and many spin-off guns based on the 1911. I even fell for the hype years ago and bought a very expensive SS Colt 1911 Officers Model – worst gun I’ve ever owned! Jammed constantly and never performed well. Sold it and bought a Berretta .40 cal…

Anyway, enough gun talk since this is a SCUBA forum… And on to my question… The Jet Fin has been around since the 60s, in about the same form, and again, there have been a lot of advances since then. I know there are a lot of die-hard fans that swear by them… But is it the same type of situation as the 1911? Are these people ignoring the better performing fins and just not letting go for sentimental reasons?

Another issue is the price of some of the “high performance” fins… Out of control!

Thanks,
Brett

Love my Jets. Spring straps are a must. The only downside I have found (for my type of diving) is that they are a bit negative.

Guns!?
My favorite is a Magnum Research Baby Eagle 9mm. You can drive tacks with it. Also have a Beretta Storm .40 that's looking for a new home.
On the 1911, I know it has a hugh following but it's not made my collection yet. I almost purchased a Kimber ultra carry but just couldn't come to grips with SA only. I went with a Sig P239. And yes, a trusty shotgun is best for home defense but a good bird load is going to be just as effective at close range as 00 buck and not be a danger for those sleeping in the next room.

SCUBA and Guns! Maybe we should get our own sub-forum. :D

I need an AA-12. Fully auto, gas operated, low-recoil, shotgun...
I think this is a better analogy to the Jets. :D

DA don't be a Glock hater. Simple to operate few moving parts which are interchangeable and very reliable. Yes the .40 is a compromise brought about by the Miami shoot in I believe 1985. That produced the 10mm which is just too big. Walking around with a 1911 "cocked and locked" also is not a happy thought. For a combat pistol the Glock 22 works just fine. Must be nice to be able to afford Kimbers
As far a Fins go. I don't know much about them. On that thought, What size fine would one suggest to fit over a size 9 rock boot?

Whats wrong with cocked and locked? They are designed to be carried that way and are perfectly safe.

Thanks,
Brett

great fin, though I prefer my OMS Slipstreams and my Colt National Match Gold Cup .45 but shooting to "50 feet" per another poster isn't accuracy. For that I shoot my Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver, 10 inch weighted, vented barrel, 245 grain semi-jacketed wadcutter with maximum loads and a scope - offhand. talk about some knock down power and accurate well past 100 YARDS.

The jet fit may well be the 1911 Colt. The DA Aquamaster double hose reg is the AK-47 of regs. Found worldwide, and works under all conditions. The Seahawk knife is the Kabar of scuba.

As a side note, I actually carry a Glock 40 cal. underwater diving while working as a LEO diver.
When patrolling in river areas on a Zodiac I dive bridges as I come to them looking for evidence such as guns or safes. As the boat is unattended I definitely don't want my gun left topside to get ripped off. I carry it in a nylon holster with an attached lanyard. The lanyard has a bolt snap on one end and is a piece of parachute cord. The other end is run through the lanyard hole and tied of with a figure eight. I replaced the firing pin cups with maritime cups and use solid rounds for this application as the gun can fire when the firing pin channel is full of water and the barrel flooded. While partial to the Colt and knowing it is up to the challenge, I would not like to take one underwater and soggy up those nice checkered walnut grips. The Glock could care less about where it goes.

Also the Glock goes well with my Jets and Seahawk.

great fin, though I prefer my OMS Slipstreams and my Colt National Match Gold Cup .45 but shooting to "50 feet" per another poster isn't accuracy. For that I shoot my Dan Wesson .44 mag revolver, 10 inch weighted, vented barrel, 245 grain semi-jacketed wadcutter with maximum loads and a scope - offhand. talk about some knock down power and accurate well past 100 YARDS.
That's accurate, but about as concealable as my TC Contender. (The 14" .223 barrel by the way get 1/4 MOA accuracy, so 300 yard shots are do-able.) The 7-30 Waters barrel is nearly as accurate (about 1/2 MOA) and delivers near .308 energy.

I agree that accuracy is a relative term, where it gets interesting is when you combine speed, accuracy and movement, and in a short range practical shooting situation a government model is hard to beat.

Whats wrong with cocked and locked? They are designed to be carried that way and are perfectly safe.
I think the people that object to carrying a 1911 in Condition 1 don't understand it. I have had some of the same people object to a Hi Power with the SFS system as well, as it is still technically cocked and locked, even though the hammer is down and not under spring pressure.

With the 1911 you have a grip safety, a manual safety and, on the Colt series 80 or schwartz system equipped Kimbers, a firing pin safety. You have to be really stupid to defeat all of those safeties even cocked and locked and it really is no different and no less safe than carrying a glock with a round in the chamber. If someone has a problem with that, they need to go more Eurpoean and carry the weapon safety off with an empty chamber.

The primary difference is I think visual in that the hammer is indeed cocked and exposed on a 1911, which I would argue is a plus as it tends to prevent complacency compared to a glock.

I've been shooting the M1911 in one variety or the other since about 1955. It is my favorite pistol and especially in .45 ACP. When it is necessary to stop all action, in my opinion, it is the best. Personally my carry gun is a Tanfoglio, 10-shot, .22 lr. I don't care what others say about this cartridge but if you pop someone in the knee with the little .22 they usually won't bother you again. If things get serious you have nine more chances for a close-up head shot which will sort things out in a hurry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom