Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Force Fins rule. Especially in hot pink.

First, I was by a well known gun manufactuer just by chance on a recent trip, this past week and you know I understand the armed forces want a .45 again. Seems the 9mm is just not stopping the crazies.

N

9mm ball ammo isn't stopping the crazies. The Geneva convention means that the last 100 years of ammunition development are denied to soldiers in combat.

First issued a 1911A1 in 1969. Brought a pair of ScubaPro jets in 1973.
I still own a 1911 model colt and those old jets. I now shot a Glock 45 and dive with Apollo bio-fin XT's with spring straps. Times change.

9mm ball ammo isn't stopping the crazies. The Geneva convention means that the last 100 years of ammunition development are denied to soldiers in combat.
I agree with you, and it is a situation that makes the 230 gr slug of the .45 even more appealing.

I spoke with a visiting thoracic surgeon with loads of gunshot wound experience (something over 1500) and his opinion was that in terms of handgun inflicted wounds, nothing tore people up worse than a 230 grain FMJ. It has a combination of diameter, momentum and optimum penetration that seems to do a real number on people and it does it with surprising consistency, even in comparision to smaller, faster hollow points.

And its performance in comparison to 9mm/38 caliber pistol bullets is no real surprise - the .45 ACP was adopted because the .38 was not getting the job done against Philipino rebels.

Personally, I think the prohibilition against expanding bullets is a bit stupid. After all we have for the last 40 years been designing 5.56mm NATO bullets that yaw, tumble and fragment to create wound channels that are every bit as drastic as a soft point or hollow point bullet would inflict and the British studied the effect post WWI and decided that .276 was the optimum diameter in terms of the combined effects of energy, velocity and yaw and tumbling. And the US is again not surprisingly considering a 6.8mm round for the same reasons.

If any one were serious about limiting lethality they would require bullets to have exit wounds no larger than the entrance wounds - and maybe go one farther and make every one use those darts with the rubber suction cups on the end.

Thanks again for all the replies - great info (on both fins and guns). I have been a rec (ow) diver for > 15 years but want to start getting into some basic tech stuff like wrecks. It seems like the jet fin is a great all around fin - and the fin of choice for the hard core techies...

I think I'm gonna give em a shot - especially since I dive in CA and wear lots of rubber.

Ever dive redondo? If you, you can borrow a pair. I have both the XLs and the XXLs (which are basically fins with a planet sized pocket attached to them).

edit: and, FWIW, a I love Kimber 1911 pistols.

For clarification, I am the poster who mentioned accuracy within a two inch ring at 50 feet. This, of course, is freehand, and reflects my own limitations, not the Colt's. From a sandbag rest, I can do better, and the pistol much better than that.
The late great Elmer Keith describes hitting man-sized targets with a 1911 at 1000 yards. He fired at about a 45 degree elevation in the desert, observing where the puffs of sand indicated a hit. From a semi-reclining stance he then adjusted the angle and windage, "just like a battleship" until he was able to place more than half his shots into "a bushel basket" more than 1/2 mile away.
When my hand was steadier , I could hit quarters at 100 feet. I once ran a string that cost me $8.50 before I missed. I'm including the cost of the surplus military FMJ ammo, of course. I havent mentioned the mechanical and aesthetic beauty of my 1911, with its brilliant small parts and deep fired blue, but that is another issue.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever" (John Keats)

Whats wrong with cocked and locked? They are designed to be carried that way and are perfectly safe.

Absolutely! If you're not carrying a pistol in such a way as to be able to draw and fire, you have no reason to even carry! The 1911 has multiple active safeties vs. the single "safety" that the Glock uses. Heck, there are hundreds of cases every year of NDs from LEOs using the Glock.

I do appreciate the analogy and I think it is spot on. Yes, there are newer pistols and newer fins out there, but the old "classics" definitely still have a place in today's world. They might both need a bit more care than more modern variants (tweaks and lube on the 1911 and taking better care of rubber vs. polys) then go for the Jets and 1911s

glockv1911.jpg

I look at it this way, I purchased a pair of classic black jet fins for under $50... They work great.
One of the dive magazines did a big test this last year and the classic blacks were in the top 5 of the group of tested fins.

So lets think about this a minute... The Jet fins are rated at the same level (or higher) as the high tech modern split/hinge/paddle style fins that cost around $150-$200 a pair.

In my book that appears to be a lot of gimic bs and over pricing then.
4 pairs of good basic fins VS 1 pair of fins that have a gimic.... Hmmmm.

Then again i don't like brightly colored gear either... so thats less reason to buy the cool gimicy gear.

In the case of simple, cost effective, reliable, durrable... I think the Classic black Rocket/Jet fins are really more like a Glock then a 1911.

Personaly I have a Taurus PT-945 (.45) (1911 clone) Stainless and a Glock 22 (.40)... I carry the Glock and keep the 1911 clone on the gun safe.

I upgraded to Trijicon sights on the Glock.
I upgraded to springs on my Jets.

I'd say these are the most similar in comparison.
The Jet fins just happened to evolve sooner then the Glock's simple/functional application.

Another interesting observation.... People are always trying to turn their Glocks INTO 1911 by adding lots of things onto them. Just like they keep adding crap to the basic fins without really inproving them.

Another similarity,
I've had a number of people ask if they could buy my Fins and my Glock after seeing them in use...lol

Just my opinion... but I'll take simple and cost effective.

I've been using ScubaPro Jetfins for over 20 years. For me, they work the best. I've occaitionally tried others, but always came back to the jetfins. I actually have a back up pair!

Sure, they're heavy and big, which doesn't make them the best traveling fins, but I get all the power I need from them when I need it and as well as all the subtleties I need for frog kicks, fanning and backing up.

I've been using ScubaPro Jetfins for over 20 years. For me, they work the best. I've occaitionally tried others, but always came back to the jetfins. I actually have a back up pair!

Sure, they're heavy and big, which doesn't make them the best traveling fins, but I get all the power I need from them when I need it and as well as all the subtleties I need for frog kicks, fanning and backing up.

I also have a backup pair, brand spank'n new still in the bag for two years now. Just in case mine succumb to some disater like a meteor strike. I expect the Jet to pas away soon, thus the extra spare pair.

N

Back
Top Bottom