Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Giffman, you don't much about Glocks do ya? It actually has three mechanisms to prevent unintentional dis-charge. If you pull the trigger, It goes bang. If you dont, it won't. Anyway not to start a fight, just for your information. This is a SCUBA room anyway.:D Just in my personal opinion drawing a holstered weapon with a correct me if I am wrong 3 pound trigger pull, it may be less "especially Cops" scares the %^&( out of me. And I think your hundreds of AD's is a bit over inflated. P.S. I don't believe in AD's Handguns are some of the finest machines made today. 99 percent of the safties work. 98.9 percent of the time you pull the trigger it goes bang. The ones that don't are usually shooter or ammo related, so if it goes bang when you don't want it too, it means you ^&&*up. Training issue. Back to Scuba

I think the mods need to jump into this thread immediately and clean it up. I counted at least 3 posts that didn't have any mention of guns in them.

Giffman, you don't much about Glocks do ya? It actually has three mechanisms to prevent unintentional dis-charge. If you pull the trigger, It goes bang. If you dont, it won't. Anyway not to start a fight, just for your information. This is a SCUBA room anyway.:D Just in my personal opinion drawing a holstered weapon with a correct me if I am wrong 3 pound trigger pull, it may be less "especially Cops" scares the %^&( out of me. And I think your hundreds of AD's is a bit over inflated. P.S. I don't believe in AD's Handguns are some of the finest machines made today. 99 percent of the safties work. 98.9 percent of the time you pull the trigger it goes bang. The ones that don't are usually shooter or ammo related, so if it goes bang when you don't want it too, it means you ^&&*up. Training issue. Back to Scuba
Generally on a carry gun 6 lbs is the norm and 4 lbs is about the minimum any armorer would accept. I doubt you'd ever find an LEO with an armorer approved weapon with less than a 4 lb trigger.

I have 4 lb triggers on the 1911's I use in practical pistol competition but most people think they are lighter as the pull is short and very crisp (you can get great triggers on the 1911).

But that aside, I agree with you that AD's are a training issue. I don't think it matters that much what trigger or safety systmes you have if you never point the weapon at something you don't want to shoot and never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot. With many DA autos and revolvers, there is a degree of slack that can be taken up in either SA or DA mode, and it can be a very bad habit to take up that slack before you are ready to fire. Under stress, it creates the potential to pull harder than you intend and in effect do a lot more than take up the slack.

In that regard however, I'd argue that the consistent trigger pull on a single action like the 1911 is potentially safer, even if it is lighter. I'd also argue that the first shot accuracy is much higher due to the shorter, lighter and crisper trigger pull. Compared to a pistol that operates in both DA/SA modes, I'd argue that the second shot is much more consistent as the trigger pull is the same from shot 1 to shot 2.

And "fin control" with jets is way better than most fins, especially split fins.

I also have a backup pair, brand spank'n new still in the bag for two years now. Just in case mine succumb to some disater like a meteor strike. I expect the Jet to pas away soon, thus the extra spare pair.

N

Jets pass away! Hell no!!! They still use them for the Navy and Military.

Besides if they quit making them, i say we contact the jet and rocket mauf.s and buy the molds and rubber formulas. We could all chip in a little bit and start the BlackFin Company or something.

We could just add springs by default perhaps?

The only custom change up could be giving people the option to plaster cast their foot in their boots and making a custom foot pocket that glues into the XL foot pocket or something for the people that HAVE to tweak with thier fins or have a problem with sloppy fits.

I wonder if recycled tire rubber could be used? That might make it a Green company too?

Anyone know insustrial chemistry that could consult on this?

Might be nice to have a few extra pairs hanging around the house. LeisurePro has them for $65 per pair -- cheapest price for new Jets that I've seen.

Does anyone find it odd how many divers here shoot as well? :)

I sold my Colt Commander. Still have two Springfields (one a 1911 Govt.) a Sig and a Glock 17L.

I have noted a connection between divers and flyers as well as divers and shooters.

DA, I will agree that the Glock trigger especially the New York trigger is far from smooth. Yes the 1911 are a joy to shoot, and by that easier to shoot more acurately. My issue with single actions is with the holster, both draw and re-holster especially under stress. Double/ singles can be as well if one forgets to de-cock. Training issues, but with limited time, budget, and sometimes desire to learn. KISS works. If I weren't spending my money on dive gear mow, I might get me a 1911. Back to that. Nobody had an answer for what size fin pocket do you need for a size 9 rock boot. Looking into going Dry in the future, from what I have read, I'll probably have to get fins to fit. Is extra large to big? Suggestions. I know I could go to my LDS, but ebay had some decent jets cheap. Should they come by again I would like to be prepared.

I am not sure I understand the unholstering/reholstering issues.

When I pull a 1911 out and point it down range the thumb sweeps the safety off. You can't take the safety off at all with the thumb with a properly designed holster until it is out of the holster.

If I engage the safety of a 1911 and reholster it with my finger on the trigger, nothing happens.
What happens if I reholster a Glock with my finger on the trigger?

One area where jet fins and 1911's differ is that the 1911 fits most hands pretty well and points pretty well. The Jet fin on the other hand has a foot pocket that fits no one real well as it is to narrow and too square shaped.

I own a springfield armory 1911millspec. Best gun i own.I have shot about thousand rounds through it and no jammings. Very accurate and reliable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom