Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seems like (until the end here) very few people really focused on the fact that the user means everything. put turtles on a beginner and mares volo on an expert and guess who will have tighter trim? who will have more momentum with less effort? put a .45 in a new shooters hands and 1911 in the S shooter's ... blah blah blah ... but guess what ... a sharpshooter will make kill shots with a 9mm just as effectively with a 9mm, 1911, or .40. (so what ever) The turtles (and jets) are durable and well tested ... you CANT go wrong, but i am 99.99% sure if you talk to people, someone will let you try them out ... (i'd like to fire a kimber before dropping a grand on one)

best of luck and leisurepro has the turtles cheapest ... and did anyone recmnd springs?

I have noted a connection between divers and flyers as well as divers and shooters.

That is because these are all typical "guy" things to do. Every guy wants to scuba dive because they get to wear big watches, every guy wants to fly airplanes because they get to wear both big watches and dark sunglasses and as to shooting, all guys like to blow up stuff, I know I do. It is all about impressing women, I know this because I am a keen observer of human behavoir.

Yo, y'all don't be surprised when the last black pair of Jets slips from the clearence wall.

N

I am not sure I understand the unholstering/reholstering issues.

When I pull a 1911 out and point it down range the thumb sweeps the safety off. You can't take the safety off at all with the thumb with a properly designed holster until it is out of the holster.

If I engage the safety of a 1911 and reholster it with my finger on the trigger, nothing happens.
What happens if I reholster a Glock with my finger on the trigger?

One area where jet fins and 1911's differ is that the 1911 fits most hands pretty well and points pretty well. The Jet fin on the other hand has a foot pocket that fits no one real well as it is to narrow and too square shaped.

Well without getting into the dynamicis of stress and it's effects on the body, Removing a safety is a fine motor skill, which diminishes with stress. As does manual dexterity. In a time of stress say when one would jump out of a car for some unknown reason on a traffic stop at 0 dark 30. One may react by unholstering your sidearm. Should the idiot escalate by moving his hand toward his back, waist ,or inside a jacket, This is where the issue takes place. Said idiot goes for weapon, did I unholster and remove the safety 3000 times or more prior to this, What is generally accepted as the number of repetitions required to make a motor skill automatic, so that I can fire. Or I place may finger on trigger, but numb nuts pulls a wallet. 4 pounds of pressure is real easy when one am ramped up. Then did you remember to re-engage the safety before holstering. That AD has happened, on tape with the suspect on the ground being hand cuffed, and no it was not me. So that in a nut shell is my concern. Hope that helps. You

What happens if I reholster a Glock with my finger on the trigger?

If the threat is neutralized, why would your finger be still on the trigger? If you think there is a possible threat still out there, you wouldn't re-holster your gun.

I had to draw on a bear once when hunting, and believe me, the gun didn't get re-holstered for a very long time, even after he moved out of sight. But my finger wasn't on the trigger after he left my sight.

/G20, G21, and G19 and love them all.

Also have a pair of split and jet fins. Different fins for different types of dives. Split for rec, no chance of silting, and jet for silty bottoms.

Btw, I :heart: this thread.

This is an awesome thread!

Kimber TLE/RL .45 ACP for me when I'm not carrying the SIG229 SAS .40.

Even though I can drive nails with the 9mm Beretta 92FS, it just doesnt match up given stress and even mild panic in the event of a altercation. I've seen people shrug off that 9mm round...it's amazing what the enemy can do when THEY are hyped on adrenaline!

I also have my Jets and some Atomic Aquatics splits. I cannot remember the last time the splits were in the water.

C'mon, lets hear from some more Diving Shooters!!

:D:popcorn:

Yeah, this has been a good thread. Many good points by knowlegable shooters. As a Glock armorer I am aware of AD's by Glock users. Nothing in the design of the Glock is dangerous. AD's were caused by folks pulling the trigger. Keep your finger indexed along the frame until you shoot. Keep it out of the trigger guard until then. New York triggers are a piss poor cure for poorly trained police officers who can't learn this simple lesson. If you cannot do this it is juxt a matter of time before you shoot a hole in your jets when reholstering.

Giffman, you don't much about Glocks do ya? It actually has three mechanisms to prevent unintentional dis-charge. If you pull the trigger, It goes bang. If you dont, it won't. Anyway not to start a fight, just for your information. This is a SCUBA room anyway.:D Just in my personal opinion drawing a holstered weapon with a correct me if I am wrong 3 pound trigger pull, it may be less "especially Cops" scares the %^&( out of me. And I think your hundreds of AD's is a bit over inflated. P.S. I don't believe in AD's Handguns are some of the finest machines made today. 99 percent of the safties work. 98.9 percent of the time you pull the trigger it goes bang. The ones that don't are usually shooter or ammo related, so if it goes bang when you don't want it too, it means you ^&&*up. Training issue. Back to Scuba

Had a G-17 and sold it. Own a G-19 I carry because I consider it "disposable". If, God forbid, I am in a situation where I need to fire, I'd much rather surrender a Glock than my 1911. Heck, the work Chuck Rogers did on my frame is worth more than I paid for my G-19!

My point was that Cocked and Locked is NO MORE dangerous than carrying a Glock. Whatever weapon one carries requires training. To just go buy a pistol and decide to carry it without ever training with it, or even running some Self Defense loads through it is assinine. One could say it is as crazy as going diving without proper training. For the very same reason we spend time at the pool getting to know our equipment, I spend time at the range getting to know my weapons. I know my limitations and abilities with every weapon I own.

All that being said, I MUCH prefer the elegance and the feel of a 1911 in my hands. So much so that I'm even bringing Larry Vickers to Omaha for a 1911 pistolsmith course. Not cheap, by any means, but the experience will be fantastic and I will leave understanding the 1911 pistol in a way that I never could without such tutelage. Perhaps one day, in the near future, I can sink similar cash into my diving.

Giff

With a thread title like " Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911" I thought it was going to be like I want to see a tank explode and have a video of someone blasting their jets.... too bad

Sig P226 and Para Ordinance P14

Had a G-17 and sold it. Own a G-19 I carry because I consider it "disposable". If, God forbid, I am in a situation where I need to fire, I'd much rather surrender a Glock than my 1911. Heck, the work Chuck Rogers did on my frame is worth more than I paid for my G-19!

Giff

Yeah, it would suck to have to file a notch into a nice 1911. With the Glock you could burn one in with a woodburner.

Have to agree with some of the views...I was in law enforcement for 11 years. This was long enough ago that departments were at the time stuck on the "autos are unreliable" mentality, however we did get that changed. 5 of my years were as a K9 officer in the pacific northwest, and you kept running across people who were far better armed than you. You wouldn't believe some of the responses we got from the department policy board when we lobbied for a change to semi-autos.

One I will never forget: "You will be carrying different ammunition than other officers. So if you are involved in an engagement where an officer has run out of ammunition, you won't be able to share your ammunition with them." Our response: "If we are in that prolonged an engagement, and you have used your ammunition, I am not going to give you any of mine to begin with, further, the idea of "throwing someone ammunition" in the middle of a situation where bullets are flying is nothing short of absurd." (Bear in mind that 90%+ of police gunfights involve 3-4 shots fired total, and are over in seconds). We did in the end, win our argument, and the entire department ended up changing over.

After 2 incidents it became apparent (which some of us knew from the start) that the 9mm leaves a lot to be desired in terms of stopping power. When you have 2 quarts of adreneline pumping through a human, you would be surprised at what they can function with. On the other hand, a 45 definitely has the ability to stop someone in their tracks, given proper shot placement.

I have a 1911, however it is pretty much a "keeper" which I have more for the value than anything else. I have a Springfield Arms XD 45. Nice having a pistol that holds 14 rounds of 45.

But my household defense weapon? Mossberg 930 SPX 12 gauge (tactical shotgun) with 00 buckshot.

Just a little FYI for those of you with a little "excess bravado". Be very careful what you post/email/express in regards to your viewpoints on the use of firearms in defense situations. God forbid you ever are put into the situation where you actually are involved in a shooting of any kind, especially a fatal one. You will go through a legal proceeding to determine if the homicide you committed is justifiable or not...and those things can be brought in as evidence going to state of mind, and if you should be placed on trial, again they will be brought to light. You REALLY don't want to have to deal with that sort of ammunition in the hands of a skilled attorney. Having unfortunately been through it, it is not a pleasant affair for police officers, let alone civilians. And trust me, even if you get through the criminal portion of the affair, you will without fail, be sued in civil court...and those kinds of statements (and they WILL subpeona ALL email, text messages, etc.) will be your undoing. Its one thing to be an active duty police officer where at least you have some protection regarding civil liability by the organization you work for...it is an entirely different matter when you are simply a citizen and have to foot the bill yourself.

Back
Top Bottom