Jew Fish.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
It's academic, it's illegal to harvest Jewfish.
]
Hi Walter,
I've not spent any time in the oceans off the continental US. I presume spearing is illegal. How about hooking them?
Here in the lagoon there seems to be quite a lot of them. We catch small snappers (1/2 lb), hook them through the tail just above the spine behind the dorsal fin, and toss them back into the mangroves using 40-50 lb test line. I've heard of people landing 300 lb jewfish this way with 300 lb test hand lines. It's not easy to land them. They get into the branches under water and slice the line on barnacles. I've landed only about 1 of 8 that I hook.

We didn't nearly exterminate the jewfish from our (US) waters because they weren't delicious...
I am greatly relieved that they're making a come-back in the Gulf; they are magnificent fish.
Some folk feel they've made enough of a come-back to open a season on them again, but I don't agree... they are nowhere near the density or the size they were back in the 70's yet.
Rick

I would agree that they are great to look at. Epcot Dive Quest had a LARGE (aren't they all?) Jew fish that was albino and we didn't see it until our second run through the tank.
I have never seen one in the states on the shallow reefs I dive. The large one I saw in the UAE was on a wreck in the Gulf od Oman at 110' without a gun and I was in a nature preserve.

I guess that the wild animal world underwater, as it is in on land, there are people who like to just look, hunt and others who do both. I have been enjoying the looking part for years and now I will start enjoying the EATING part too.

I loved the first story about the Saturday Night Fever dance...... :) I was "right" there underwater just reading that! I can't wait to get in on that kind of fun.

I was getting my tanks filled last week, when a local spearfisherman comes in with a picture of a 100lb black that he speared. While it was a record black for the area as any of us knew, none of us was enthusiastic about his kill. To see this huge fish hanging next to the hunter for a photo op made me feel kind of sad. The fish was beautiful, and it would have been more so if seen swimming on the wreck. The guy left feeling a little strange about the kill, but said it made good eating.

We see small to medium jew fish on many of the deeper wrecks in the area. It's kind of cool when I have to get out of their way. That's attitude that needs to be respected. Leave em alone I say.

Mempilot, I don't wanna start any more s%&t but shouldn't you post about leaving the fish alone on the other forum with the shark lovers? This is the underwater hunting forum and most folks that contribute here would sling steel at a 100lb carbo in half a nanosecond if given the opportunity. We could all shoot 7" pinfish and be happy but a large fish is even better.

deadend - I like your thinking! :)

The quickly expanding Jewfish numbers are just as quickly deleting the groupers and other fish that can be found on Gulf wrecks. On the Mexican Pride wreck, for example, few if any good fish live there to be shot, but don't shoot one if you find one - cause about 6 refrigerator-size jewfish will be on top of you in a nanosecond! Among spearfisherman that dive there, jewfish stealing fish is a REAL concern....some guys have the scars to prove it.... :11:

deadend:
Mempilot, I don't wanna start any more s%&t but shouldn't you post about leaving the fish alone on the other forum with the shark lovers? This is the underwater hunting forum and most folks that contribute here would sling steel at a 100lb carbo in half a nanosecond if given the opportunity. We could all shoot 7" pinfish and be happy but a large fish is even better.
You misread my thoughts. Spearfish all you like. Killem big and killem all. My reference was the same as others above, to the jew fish in SE FL waters. They are still fairly small compared to days past and the numbers are still few. I see more 20 to 50 lb grouper on the wrecks than 100lb jew fish.

I can't remember the last time I saw a jewfish UNDER 200lbs. 20 to 50 lb grouper(square tails) on wrecks outnumbering jewfish? I need to come dive with you! Most of the jewfish I see are 300+ and many have got to be over 5. Not even surprised to see them anymore. 20 - 50 lb grouper though, I'd be shocked and quick on the trigger!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom