Jew Fish.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. It's a good department with good people. The Volunteer Scientific Research Team provides a great deal of the data for the county.

I echo that Cbulla and Walter...we have more than our fair share on this coast.

From what I have seen and experienced they are becoming a nuisance. I would not be opposed to a limited harvest on this coast. It not uncommon to see these Goliaths in numbers and they occupy almost every ledge I dive. I sometimes wonder how they wedge themselves into their holes?

I'd wait to see how the current stocks compare to the pristine state before thinking about reopening hunting. You'd have to access the historical records from WAY back... assuming we have any for this species.

Actually this is what the regulatory agencies would do. "Shifting Baseline Syndrome" has been sweeping the fisheries community by storm the last few years. Nobody wants to look overeager and get made a fool of later.

Anybody seen any 600-800 pounders lately? Lots of THOSE suckers around would indicate a healthier stock. The only time I've seen one that big was in an aquarium.

I saw two in the 500-600 pound range a couple of weeks ago, as well as at least 6 in the 200-300 pound range. They were coming after each fish we shot, and two of the "smaller" ones got into a fight over a gag.

No shortage of Jewfish in NE Fla.I had 1 wrestle with mwe last week.At one time I had 3 eyeing my stringer with more around.This particular wk has anout 10 in residence.lasdt year counted 15 in sight at the same time on one barge in Ft. Pierce.I assume it was a spawning aggregation as that many would deplete all the resident fish and bugs in a couple of days.I think thier #s are far underestimated but I am not qualified to make the decision to re-open the fishery.If it is re-opened I hope it's a limited entry/no sale for the first couple years to ensure a sustainable population.BTW they are tasty but there is a layer of fat/slime between flakes like any other grouper but more noticeable due too the greater size.

TropicalDiver:
Maybe on the East Coast the bull sharks get them before they get big???

I haven't seen a jewfish on the East Coast, but they are doing quite well on the West coast! The West coast does also have a good amount of gag groupers - most commercial fish caught for sale nationally are out of the Gulf - maybe they are where their favorite food is more plentiful???

Oooh... don't you worry, they're here.
Getting back to the original post, they are pretty good eating but hard to land without a powerhead. Manatee are much more palatable and easier to stone due to they're curious nature, though if you wing one you're in for a wild ride.

there are plenty of really big ones in certain sections of the middle grounds, they can be very agressive.

Scubakevdm:
Oooh... don't you worry, they're here.
Getting back to the original post, they are pretty good eating but hard to land without a powerhead. Manatee are much more palatable and easier to stone due to they're curious nature, though if you wing one you're in for a wild ride.
Testing the waters Eh?

I guess you would need to BEEF up your leader line for those Manatees :) I would imagine that it would be alot faster than riding on a turtle!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom