june/july Cozumel trip, Avanti Superchannel fin ok ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joel S.

Registered
Reaction score
will the AVANTI SUPERCHANNEL do ok in the current ?? have about 70 dives on them elsewhere in the Caribbean and they have been fine.
so sorry if this is a dumb question, this is our first trip to mexico.
(have done superman's flight and other in st lucia... not sure we have been in stronger currents yet.)

spending 7 nights at iberostar diving with dressel divers I think. (looking at a regular suite or ocean view... thinking the regular rooms seem smaller from the pictures and room videos) is 3 or 4 dives a day tough down there ?? trying to decide how big of a package to get before we arrive for the 20% savings. we are use to 2 tank am, only have done 1 afternoon shore dive, due to where we have stayed in the past.. thinking like 15 ?? than add more if desired ??
thanks so much for your time,

1708355550464.png

I cant comment on the Iberostar as I have never stayed there, but the fin you have pictured would be just fine. As far as the diving, I do believe Dressel does timed dives so doing 3 or 4 a day is very possible. I have done 3 or 4 dives in a day numerous times with boutique ops, that dont time dives, and that makes for a tiring long day. Are you Nitrox certified? If you are not, I would highly encourage you get certified if you are thinking 3 or 4 dives a day.

Fins are fine. Rides are typically very short with Iberostar/Dressel, and the SI is often back at Iberostar where you can use a real bathroom. Nitrox is included in their pricing. Of note: their destinations are pre-scheduled, which may or may not appeal to you. Night dives are only on Mon/Wed/Fri.

Yes, Dressel times their dives, but they sent the air hogs up the DSMB line while others continued diving when I was there. Count on at least 45 mins.

If I were doing a "dive as much as possible" trip, they would be my first pick. If many different restaurants and the town scene is a priority, consider elsewhere (though a taxi one day or night is an option).

I stayed at Iberostar in January. Overall a nice resort. I think I had a standard room and it was just fine for me and my roomie. The Dressel folks were pretty capable divers I found. 3 or 4 dives a day is pretty doable if you're up for it. Short rides to the reefs were a real treat. I enjoyed seeing a number of large specimen sized critters out there as well. I only left the grounds to go for walks along the road but would have liked to see a bit more of town. Enjoy your trip.

I've used Superchannel full foots for years, including Coz, and they are great. I've tested them against a bunch of other fins and they are always the fastest at both moderate exertion levels and for top speed. If I'm boat diving and can fit them in the luggage, they are my first choice.

Last time I was in Coz, we had a crazy current on one dive and my buddy and I had an impromptu up current "race". He couldn't move at all in his Apeks RK3 fins while I could do it with high, but sustainable, effort.

I have the same fins in full foot version and they’re good in current. Dove with them a lot in Coz and worked well on some wicked current dives in the Maldives this past Xmas.

In theory, you should be doing less finning as the idea behind a drift dive is that you drift WITH the current not fin against it. The finning you do should be lateral adjustments. Don't get in front of the DM and you won't have to swim up current to get back to the DM. Sometimes you might want to hold position over something interesting.

In theory, you should be doing less finning as the idea behind a drift dive is that you drift WITH the current not fin against it. The finning you do should be lateral adjustments. Don't get in front of the DM and you won't have to swim up current to get back to the DM. Sometimes you might want to hold position over something interesting.
Yep. Don't need to fin much while drift diving. My last trip I used Aldora and their overstuffed HP120 tanks so I had far more gas than I needed for our 75 minute dives. This let me play with the current in ways I usually avoid.

For example, as I passed over an outcrop I thought I saw big Moray. It took a bit to get my buddy's attention, so I was maybe 40' "downstream". My buddy grabbed a rock while I fought my way back up and was rewarded with these unlikely roommates (sorry for the quality, I carry a cheap GoPro clone just for the memories):
1000007385.jpg

excellent, thanks so very much for the information. glad to hear about our fins, one less thing to worry about.. these are our first and only fins, so nothing to compare them to. I wouldn't mind mine being a tic shorter to fit in a med suitcase better, but glad to hear they should function for us..
appreciate the information as well on dressel. sounds similar to the properties we have dove with in the past ( Sandals)
thanks for your time.. we greatly appreciate it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom