Just got back from Madeira Beach (Florida)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eanxdivr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone..
Just got back from 3 days at Madeira and Clearwater. The water was WARM (85 degrees easy). Madeira Beach was mostly empty of people, but the visibility was non-existent. In order to see the ripples in the sand, you basically had to put your nose right down to it. There was a lot of kelp/sea grape to contend with, but that was good cover for the little bait fish swimming around. I got to try my new SCUBA fins, Tusa Splitfins. They are awesome...
Clearwater was a different story. Just 15 miles north of Madeira, the water was, well, clear, as the name would imply. Way too many people, though. Again that water was very warm. Overall, it was a good time with great weather. The 4 or 5 dolphins swimming around was a nice add-on.
Usually, it is mostly SCUBA for me, but this trip was all snorkeling (wife, daughter, and one of her friends, all non-certified). Doing a straight snorkeling trip was a nice change, as opposed to lugging around all the equipment and everything else that goes with a SCUBA trip. However, my next time there (probably next month) it will be a SCUBA trip..
There ware plenty of snorkeling trips available on charters, but we just wanted to do our own thing this time out. Next time that we make a snorkeling trip. we will probably take one of the charters. Thanks for letting me babble....

Diving off Madeira, today we had 40+ ft in 60 ft of water. Last week in 45' vis was only 15 ft or so, but again 40+ in 55 ft to 60 ft.

There's really nothing to see on Mad Beach if it was clear, except sand... which sometimes it's about 15 feet or so. Nothing really at Clearwater either.

That large amount of algae and sargasso weed last week was really rare, but winds had been westerly for a while.

If you have a kayak or small boat there are artificial reefs in Pinellas County that are a few hundred yards off the beaches. Many culvert pipes, storm drains and bridge rubble.

The best beach snorkeling sites in the area are Egmont Key, where you'll find much of Ft Dade underwater & Bradenton Beach where there are reefs very close and the Regina wreck. Egmont is an island but there are tours that run there.

Chad

Chad... I am driving down from Michigan over Thanksgiving and staying in Madeira beach. Any good dive spots, that i shouldn't miss on the way down? Can you recommend any dive charters?

thanks for the report im going next week

Back
Top Bottom