Just got my AOW and might plan a deep dive. Things to make sure I cover off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've dove to 120 feet for advanced certification. You are a self described math nerd. You have no idea what your air consumption rate is or was or how to do calculations based on it. Seriously, did the idea cross your mind to ask the instructor something like...I trust you a lot, but" how do i know this dive is not going to kill me?"

Rules of thumb, rules of thirds blah blah... If it were me, i would be damn sure i know what my SAC rate is on an easy shallow dive before I consider going deep.

Also, and I don't want to sound overy critical, but since your Advanced training left you without the most basic knowedge of how to not run out of air... are you at all worried that your knowledge of other aspects of deep diving might be similarly deficient?

No - you're right. I should have asked and I didn't - and the more I think about it, the more I realize I have a lot to learn and get ingrained before I start doing more adventuresome things.

I think it's wonderful that you came here and asked, and I think folks have given you a lot to think about.

I'm assuming the area you are talking about wanting to dive is around to the right from the entry, correct? One thing to think about, in addition to gas reserves as Lamont has mentioned, is that it's a pretty good swim out to the wall. If you do your gas planning so that you have just enough to do your 100 foot dive and keep your minimum reserves, you're going to be doing a LONG surface swim back.

If you really used 85% of a hundred cubic foot tank in 27 minutes, your gas consumption is still very high, and that 1.1 cf/m figure doesn't seem out of line at all. With that gas consumption, I'd avoid deep dives for a while. You're just not going to get the experience you need to improve your skills and become more efficient, if you are doing very brief, deep dives.

As I remember, there's a ton of fun stuff to see along the left-hand side of the cove, going out toward the little island. We did our deco there, coming back from the wall, and it was the best part of the dive. Why not cruise around in the 40 to 60 foot range, and gather some data on your gas consumption, and get to spend a bit more time working on buoyancy, trim, and efficiency? The cloud sponges will always be there.

Thanks TSandM!

Yes, I think that's the new plan. I've done some exploring in the bay itself and it's never a bad idea to do more. I'm pretty glad about the advice everyone has offered - after all, I am here to learn. It makes complete sense to spend time shallower and build up experience and efficiency.

And - maybe see the resident seal a bunch of times too! Last time I dove that left-hand wall near the islet there was a lot to see, indeed.

I'd like to add that this thread points out the value of logging dives in detail. Air consumption, depths, time at depth, water temp, etc. Creating an individual "book" on one's self is necessary before doing the math. Also, let's not leave the subject without an emphasis on regularly monitoring your gauges. Basics need to be a part of the overall equation. I have had too many occasions when a diver "suddenly" realizes that they are low on air, or "didn't notice" that they had gone deeper than the planned profile, because of inattention to their gauges. and watch. Please look at your gauges often, have an awareness of what is going on, especially on deeper dives, where safety margins are smaller. Happy diving all!
DivemasterDennis

Absolutely. I've always figured it is good to be precise for my logs - and just last night I calculated my SAC for each dive I have done so far. I think I'll keep doing that :wink:. I'd be nice to have a dive log that had that as another field to fill in.

I try to check air every 5 or so minutes, and absolutely every time:

1) Right before descent
2) Immediately after descent
3) As soon as I arrive at destination
4) every few minutes while at destination
5) as soon as we start the return trip
6) Right before ascent

Hi there, diving sure is a great sport! There is so much to see and every dive even at the same spot is different. I would echo the other comments about not rushing down, especially if you are the guide and your buddies are expecting you to DM them. The cut is subject to some strong currents, so it is best to ensure you time your dive to descend on slack. I have been caught in some wicked currents and it was not fun.
A lot of us surface swim around the point before we descend, but we ensure we have sufficient gas to swim back into the bay which makes for a nice dive, or of course you can end your dive at the Cut and hike up the hill. There is the constant allure of going deeper. As you proceed around the Cut you come to the wall which drops down to some 600 ft so you want to ensure that you and the buddy team has some solid experience and skills to deal with issues. If you have only 24 dives, I would suggest there is a lot to see at 70-80 ft and up. If you are 1 ATA shallower, you will have a longer and perhaps more enjoyable dive. Porteau, Britannia Beach, Ansell, Bachelor Bay, Copper Cove, Woodlands, Bowen Island, Tuwanek, Cates Park, VT 100 at Belcarra. etc. You can have a lot of fun exploring these sites at shallower depths while building your skills and experience, get to know your dive buddies strengths and weaknesses and vice a versa. The Cut isn't going anywhere. Safe diving.

You state you and a couple buddies? this sounds like three divers, who is whose buddy and what is the plan for watching each other staying together? What if one takes off for depth or surface whats the plan for the other two? Aside from the obvious air consumption depth time gameplan, make a buddy plan and think about potential problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom