Just returned from Ambergris, still not Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1.) How does Roatan diving compare overall to other mainstream Caribbean destinations like Bonaire for general fishiness?

North side, diving out of TBR with Subway Watersports (and I swear their operation is not fishy at all, quite the opposite :wink:
  • more (and friendlier) turtles
  • I have not seen a spotted ray on Bonaire
  • more larger green morays
  • I have not seen large groupers on Bonaire (Aguila wreck on Roatan is full of them)
  • not as many smaller colourful reef fishes and what there are are less friendly than on Bonaire
  • no night swims with tarpons just outside your room on Roatan.
Overall I'd say Roatan's signature dives are swimthroughs like Dolphin Den and Mary's Crack. (I.e. not so much fishies, though those are a factor too.)

Kharon, which side of Roatan did you dive? Soft corals are not a significant feature on the north side of Roatan.

Yep - south side (and all sites close to the "resort"). My bad. I should have done more due dilligence. Muck diving isn't for me.

I have not seen a spotted ray on Bonaire
They are there and large green morays and groupers too.

Wait, actually there are no fish, no coral, no sponges - just mud on Bonaire. Go to CCV instead. Everyone will love it and I can dive Bonaire in peace (roflmao).

They are there and large green morays and groupers too.

Wait, actually there are no fish, no coral, no sponges - just mud on Bonaire. Go to CCV instead. Everyone will love it and I can dive Bonaire in peace (roflmao).

Yea, don't go to Bonaire, horrible diving. Stay home or go somewhere else. Makes it more peaceful & less crowded!

The diving in Roatan and Belize can suck or be fabulous at both places, based on criteria such as viz, marine life, accessibility, ease of diving... the variables are:

Yes...and that is true above the water as well :)

These are well-known destinations....with many options/types of diving/above water experiences within each. Choose wisely

My first trip to Belize was also to AC...chosen as a compromise since we have non-divers in the family. It was fun for what it was. Second trip was out to Glover's Atoll for a week.....overall quality of the diving was much better. We're going back again later this year.

I've been to Roatan 4 times = love it as well.

A king has the blind men of the capital brought to the palace, where an elephant is brought in and they are asked to describe it.

When the blind men had each felt a part of the elephant, the king went to each of them and said to each: 'Well, blind man, have you seen the elephant? Tell me, what sort of thing is an elephant?'

The men assert the elephant is either like a pot (the blind man who felt the elephant's head), a winnowing basket (ear), a plowshare (tusk), a plow (trunk), a granary (body), a pillar (foot), a mortar (back), a pestle (tail) or a brush (tip of the tail).

The men cannot agree with one another and come to blows over the question of what it is like and their dispute delights the king. The Buddha ends the story by comparing the blind men to preachers and scholars who are blind and ignorant and hold to their own views: "Just so are these preachers and scholars holding various views blind and unseeing.... In their ignorance they are by nature quarrelsome, wrangling, and disputatious, each maintaining reality is thus and thus." The Buddha then speaks the following verse:

O how they cling and wrangle, some who claim
For preacher and monk the honored name!
For, quarreling, each to his view they cling.
Such folk see only one side of a thing.

Roatan and The Belize Cays are a diverse thing, not one single place, not one shoreline, nor even two. Yet we know what we know. It must be true and universal.

Or, as we expand our observations, maybe not so true any longer, and certainly not universal.

I have enjoyed my trips to Belize but have always considered it as a vacation destination that has diving.

Not a dedicated diving destination.

The thing I love most about Roatan is the reef. While the north/west side of the island holds some interest for me, the south shore is heaven on earth. Yes, I see fish and swim with turtles, but there is ALWAYS the reef. I am experiencing places farther out east on the south shore, and my fascination grows. If you want to go and see what the reefs of Roatan once were, go on a hunt for Morat Wall. It's FABULOUS!

I've seen lots of schooling fish, eels, turtles, and other things that are big enough for any diver to spot. What intrigues me are the LITTLE critters that hide within the reef. You must search for them...like a treasure hunt. The beautiful sun-lit walls of the south shore are FULL of small treasures. Guess it's all in what you're looking for and what you are able to find and see...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom