Kayak Against Cancer: Sat, June 17th, 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SFLDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kayuba has been doing this fundraiser for the past 6 years.

From http://www.kayuba.org and the link on the left.
Forms for donations can be downloaded from the website.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Kayak Against Cancer is scheduled for June 17th, 2006
The Pregistration and Kick-Off party is June 8th, 6:30-9:00pm
at the World Famous Parrot Lounge, 911 Sunrise Lane, Ft.Laud.
$10.00 donation gets you a buffet and one free drink.

Answers to common questions.

1. What is Kayak Against Cancer?
2. How do I get started?
3. What does it cost?
4. Can I paddle a tandem kayak?
5. Other vessels?
6. When and where is the start?
7. Where and when is the end?
8. How about bad weather?
9. What do I need to bring?
10. Is this a race? Will I be timed?
11. Am I supposed to ask for pledges based on the miles I paddle?
12. How do I get my kayak back to my car at the end of the day?
13. What is going on at the appreciation party?
14. More Questions?

What is Kayak Against Cancer?

Kayak Against Cancer is a kayaking charity event benefiting the American Cancer Society, Florida Division, INC.

I want to participate. What do I need to do?

First, we thank all of our sponsors, participants, and volunteers for their interest and effort in this event. You will need to fill out 3 forms:

1. Registration form.
2. Participant Agreement, Release, and Acknowledgement of Risk.
3. Pledge form – the most important!! Make sure to get this one in advance of the event so you can get all your friends to donate $$ to the cause!

We prefer you get these forms by e-mailing Chuck Noonan at kayuba@hotmail.com You can also call Chuck at (954) 232-2109 to get a packet mailed to you.

What does it cost?

There is no registration fee or cost to the participants. However, remember the purpose of this event is to raise money for the American Cancer Society. We are hoping you will come to the event having already raised lots of donations! There is a minimum donation amount of $35.00. If you did not have the chance to get donations and you want to simply pay this amount yourself, that is fine. All checks should be made out directly to the American Cancer Society, Florida Division, INC.

Can I paddle on a tandem kayak?

Yes you can. You can also complete one donor sheet for both kayakers. However, the prizes for first place finishers as well as most proceeds raised will be affected by this. Two person kayaks will be ineligible for first to finish prizes. If one donor form is handed in for both kayakers, the proceeds will be split between the two kayakers.

How about another type of vessel?

Sure. However, prizes will only be given for the first to finish categories for sit on top and touring kayaks. It is the responsibility of the KAC committee to determine the category of each vessel.

Where and when is the start?

Where: South Beach Park at Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. This is just south of Los Olast. We will have canopies set up here for registration. You will launch your kayak from the beach. There is a charge to Park in this lot, but it is very convenient for Launch as well as pick up.

When: Saturday June 17, 2006. Registration is at 6:30 AM. The event starts at 7:30 AM. This is where and when you should turn in your registration form, liability waiver, and your donations forms and checks for donations. Please no cash. Please have your donations form and checks in an envelope with your name and the total amount of donations written on the outside of the envelope. If you show up the day of the event without the forms, you can fill one out when you arrive.

When and Where is the End?

Where: Bahia Cabana Restaurant Beach Resort, 3001 Harbor Drive, Ft. Lauderdale. It is located directly across A1A from the Yankee Clipper Hotel.

When: Paddling will end at 2:00 PM. The appreciation party at Bahia Cabana will start at 3:00 PM. Wherever you are at 2pm, it’s time to stop. If you are not near the end, pull over into one of the designated KAC Beaching Locations/Safety Check Points.

Important Note: It is extremely important that every participant check in with volunteers wherever you decide to end your participation. This will allow us to ensure that all participants who start the event get out of the water safely. If for any reason you do not stop at one of the designated Beaching Locations/Safety Check Points, or at Bahia Cabana, please contact us at one of the above listed telephone numbers as soon as possible. This will also allow us to make arrangements for you transportation.

What about bad weather?

We have set an alternate date: Saturday, June 24. Same times, same place.

What should I bring?

1. Kayak
2. Kayak seat/backrest
3. Paddle
4. Life jacket
5. Throw cushion
6. Water
7. Sunscreen
8. Hat
9. Wallet for party afterward
10. Marine radio (Recommended)
11. Cell phone (Recommended).

Is this a race? Will I be timed?

This is a charity event! Yes, it will be timed for those with a competitive spirit. The time kept by the Kayak Against Cancer volunteers is the only one that will be considered for the purpose of the prizes. There will be a prize for fastest time in a touring kayak as well as sit on top kayak. We will have the times posted for those who complete the entire course and stop at Bahia Cabana. The biggest and best prize for this event will be for the person who raises the most money in donations! The kayaking then, is for your enjoyment and satisfaction. Paddle as fast or as slow as you like!

Am I supposed to ask for pledges based on the miles I paddle?

This is up to you. However, we ask that you tell your donors how many miles you plan to paddle and have them donate funds based on this distance. You should have all donors pay by check prior to the event. We have found that it is easier to get a flat amount for donations. Remember, have all donors make their checks out directly to the American Cancer Society, Florida Division, INC.

How do I get my kayak back to my car after the event?

You can drop your gear off at the start and drive your car to South Beach Park. This is located directly across the street from Bahia Cabana. Contact Chuck at kayuba@hotmail.com or at (954) 232-2109. If you finish the event at Bahia Cabana, the Fire Department located just east of Bahia Cabana has a floating dock. You can pull your kayak out of the water here and load it on your car. You will have to drive your car from South Beach Park to the marina across the street.

What will be taking place at the appreciation party?

We will have the presentation of awards, the posting of the amount of funds raised during the event, and a raffle. Bahia Cabana will have drink specials, music, and they have a full menu you can order from. Although the appreciation party starts at 3:00 PM, you are welcome to arrive at anytime throughout the day.

Please Join Us at the Kayak Against Cancer Pre-Registration and Kick-Off Party June 8th, 6:30-9:00pm, at the World Famous Parrot Lounge, 911 Sunrise Lane, Fort Lauderdale (954) 563-1493. Your $10 donation gets you Free buffett food and a complimentary drink.

Come Join Us for fun, food, and libation AND to raise funds for the American Cancer Society. The nations largest voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major helth problem by preventing cancer, saving lives from cancer, and diminishing suffering from cancer.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact Chuck at kayuba@hotmail.com or 954-232-2109. Thanks again for helping to raise money for the American Cancer Society!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom