Killer Whale Dive, sign up now!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got to snorkel with Orcas in La Paz in 2006. ......The whales mostly swam around about 20 yards or so from us. I have a few snapshots of a mother and calf from a cheap underwater film camera. Very cool experience.

Mike

I may be mistaken, but I thought Orca's were in the dolphin family and that the name "killer whale" referred to the Orca's known practice to actually kill whales. I actually saw a video of a school of Orca's killing a mother and baby whale. Kind of sad, but it is the way of nature.

I may be mistaken, but I thought Orca's were in the dolphin family and that the name "killer whale" referred to the Orca's known practice to actually kill whales. I actually saw a video of a school of Orca's killing a mother and baby whale. Kind of sad, but it is the way of nature.

They are in fact the largest members of the dolphin family. I am not sure about the origins of their common name, I just figured it was because they hunt so effectively. You may be onto something...

Back
Top Bottom