Kind of funny, sorta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We have had a plethora of close calls again this winter but this one is one of those that needs mentioning.

I’m going off the accident report because when this happened I was nice and toasty on my waterbed.

Shortly after noon on 010708 a full size GMC 4x4 P/U truck, pulling a snowmobile trailer with 2 ATV's on it decided to get a case of 4 wheel drive invincibility. It was being piloted by a WMA and co-piloted by two more WMA’s.

They were headed around Fernan Lake (you remember this lovely little 400 acre in town pond) on a very slick ice and snow covered roadway. Approx. 1.5 miles around the lake the road makes a sharp left hand corner. The vehicle must have used up its allotment of left turns and just up and refused to make one, instead it goes straight. Hummm, going straight only means one thing and that’s an unforgiving carwash that doesn’t make change.

The GMC goes over the steep embankment and hits the water. The front breaks through the ice and with all three looking at the ice-covered lake rapidly approaching, invent a new language and I’m sure their bodily functions got a mind of their own as well.

The vehicle, get this, comes to rest on its right side with the front, from the windshield forward crashed through the ice and submerged in the lake. The three then manage to break out the rear window and escape.

What was the guardian angel that saved them from a near certain doom? The front of the snowmobile trailer hooked one of the few trees on that side of the roadway and abruptly stopped them. The trailer wheels were still on the roadway. Other than a minor cut to one pinkie finger and the embarrassment of crapping their drawers they all faired very well and are alive to tell the story.

The investigating Deputy is our newest teem member who returned after a 5-year absence. I’m surprised that he didn’t disconnect the trailer after they were out so we could get a call-out. :D

It was very slick with snow on top of ice and this was the result of driving 20 mph in the 25 mph speed zone. See, you need to speed :wink: going slow is dangerous. The road had been plowed just a few hours earlier and that could have helped creating the ice rink.

This is one of those incidents where they are glad the boss isn’t a practical joker. Can you imagine hanging they’re looking at the broken ice and freezing water knowing you just dodged the bullet and stoped. Then out of nowhere you hear a deep voice say; “Just Kidding” and wiggle the vehicle a little.

Here is the paper pic and article; Coeur d'Alene Press Newspaper - Local and National News - Kootenai County, Idaho : Here comes the snow

Here is the sat pic: Microsoft TerraServer Imagery

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom