Komodo Lob From Labuan Bajo - Seeking Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrethediver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning our first trip to Komodo national park on a budget and need some "fresh" recommendations of boats/ops to go with. Its our second trip to Indonesia but first to this region. We're thinking to split our time in Labuan Bajo - a few days on a decent (but budget) LOB and then stay land based (SJ perhaps?). I did not find a lot of recent information on boats leaving from LB but based on Trip advisor reviews we are leaning toward Uber/Amalia boat with a 3 nights/4 days itinerary. Boats | Dive Komodo National Park Of course there are other ops in town. If possible we would prefer en-suite cabin and a private bathroom as well as a safety minded English speaking guides. Any recommendations from divers with actual experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Andrethediver!

Let me start by saying, you’re going to love Komodo! The diving is unbelievable.

If you are traveling on a budget, it’s a great idea to split your time between land and sea. Remember, however, that Labuan Bajo is still a fairly lengthy boated away from Komodo National Park. Personally, I enjoyed diving from Kanawa. If you are okay with budget accommodation, it’s a great place to be. Kanawa is close to the action and has a brilliant house reef. With that said, Scuba Junkie wasn’t yet open when I was in Komodo and we have heard really great things about SJ.

As far as the liveaboard is concerned, both the SMY Ondina and the Queenesia are good choices for your budget and length of stay.

Have a great trip and let us know what you decide to do! Happy diving!

Thanks for recommendation, we decided to stay land based the entire time.

Personally, I enjoyed diving from Kanawa. If you are okay with budget accommodation, it’s a great place to be. Kanawa is close to the action and has a brilliant house reef.

Who did you dive with out of Kanawa. Roughly how long were your boat rides?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom