Komodo seascapes killed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sad...

It's funny how people cut off their noses despite their face. We're damn good at it though.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." Douglas Adams

We really are the embarrassment of the planet. It's easy to look at these poachers and this spot on the reef and think oh what a tragedy, but we pass by the same crap in our own backyards and don't even bat an eye because it's become "normal".

HI Aaron,

Your comments are so appropriate here. In Indonesia there much neglect at all levels of society. And even I, a diver, with a business dependent on the health of the reefs here, did little last year when I first noticed the damage occurring. It was not until I saw further damage this year that I decided I had to act on it.

I also want to put the amount of damage to komodo reefs into perspective. Most of the sites are intact , and the diving is still wonderful. But some others have suffered some serious damage, and overall the fish stocks are suffering. We have had 6 or more reports over the last 6 months of divers finding dead fish at various dive sites. Probably due to Bomb fishing. When we look carefully we can see more and more damaged reef, that is probably due to bombing.

If this trend is not stopped, the komodo national park will loose a lot of its quality dives sites. We hope the government steps up to the plate and does what is needed. If you have note allready done so, please sign our petition on causes.com - you can find it, and a lot more information about the situation there.

Save Komodo | causes.com

Best,

Greg.

Same thing occurring in the Maldives- bad fishing practices and polluting the beach. I saw the same in the Philippines, Egypt, Malaysia, Thailand, New Zealand.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom