Kubi Dry glove rings with blue smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warren_L

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I was wondering if anyone uses the blue smurf gloves with the Kubi rings? I just bought a set of Kubi rings with the intention of using the blue smurf gloves (Atlas 660 gloves I get from Seattle Marine). I fitted the glove rings on as per the instructions, but they flooded the first time I tried them. I realized the issue was that the sealing surface was the inside of the glove, but these gloves have a cotton fabric on the inside which is coated on the outside with vinyl. As a result, it slowly leaks as the cotton fabric on the inside won't form a water tight seal with the rings. I may also be installing them wrong as well, which is a definite possibility.

I've seen someone wear the Atlas 660 gloves inside out with a ring system for the rason you discovered. The fabric liner doesn't make a good seal with the rings. I've not tried this myself. I use the Gumifabrikken rubber gloves from DRIS with my KUBI rings.

Thanks, it is pretty well as I suspected. I do have the set of gloves that came with the rings that will work, but I have a tendency to go through these gloves as they get cut occasionally so I was hoping I could use my stash of blue gloves. Turning the glove inside-out is an interesting idea. I am going to try it again with the blue gloves - this time I painted a ring of aquaseal on the inside where the glove should seal with the rings, so I will give that a go and see. \

I also got a response from the company which basically confirms that those gloves won't work due to the inside lining not being able to form a water tight seal.

"Many thanks for your email & questions

We would confirm that the KUBI dry glove system is not recommended with showa style gloves (with cotton fabric inner), as due to the inner this style of glove does not seal within an o-ring system.

This is due to the cotton inner of the glove not being water tight.

We have tried many styles of these gloves and different methods for fixing them, with a variety of results.

We recommend the use of latex gloves or latex gloves with cotton flock lining, as shown on our website.

We apologise if this repose does not give the answer you were afters, but we believe in honesty and offer a wide range of glove styles which we know work fully with our system."

If you can put the glove O-ring inside the glove cuff, roll the cuff inside to cover it, and then stretch it over the glove ring it might work. The Kubi are very similar to the OS system. It's hard to do and doesn't always work as you often get a wrinkle in the sealing surface. I could get one to seal, not the other. I just use cheap $3.50 black 'dish washing gloves' from Marine Supply and replace them when they start leaking. They are better for photography and 'feel' anyway. Quit glad-handing sharp stuff and your gloves will last longer. :poke:

Thanks, I tried that but the problem is the outer ring will no longer fit over the cuff as the diameter now becomes too big. My gloves sometimes get cut as we run new line and doing tie-offs on zebra encrusted rocks can sometimes be somewhat problematic.

Thanks, I tried that but the problem is the outer ring will no longer fit over the cuff as the diameter now becomes too big. My gloves sometimes get cut as we run new line and doing tie-offs on zebra encrusted rocks can sometimes be somewhat problematic.

If you are destroying that many gloves, honestly I wouldn't use the Kubi system. It takes too long to change gloves. You need something that is EASY to switch gloves with. What other systems have you tried? Are you open to other systems?

I've used the SI tech system for about 12 years. My original rings just started failing (well, one of them). I went to the Kubi because they were well liked by the people who have used them and they seemed less bulky.

I actually go them to work fine with some minor modifications and help from buddhasummer. At first, it took me about 10 minutes to install a new glove, but now that I know what I am doing I can install a glove in about 2-3 minutes, so not an issue time wise.

ive tried them all now I just use the Viking rings and gloves I can use them in all kinds of temps I just change up the thermal protection they go on in seconds, and gloves are cheap . I would never go back to the blue gloves ..steve

We had to modify how the gloves are mounted to the rings given the inner surface was supposed to be the surface that created the water tight seal. The problem with the blue gloves is that the inner surface is a cotton mesh that cannot create a water tight seal. So what I ended up doing is folding over the cuff of the glove so that it wrapped around the o-ring and then mounted that on the kubi ring. The problem is that it is now about double the thickness given it is two layers of material + the o-ring, so I swapped o-ring positions to use the thinner o-ring to mount the gloves and the thicker o-ring to retain the protection ring. So far, it's worked great. Now if I would only stop poking holes in my gloves from the damned zebras, all would be great.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom