Labor Day Weekend in La Bufadora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could consider it. Jen and I went down to La Fonda / Ensenada for New Years a few years ago. it's definitely a lot colder topside there then.

If you're not working between Xmas and NY, could see about something in WA (I'm assuming we're going at least for the former).

I don't think I can wait till Memorial Day next year....I say we go again for the New Year :D

There's no way the swell can be worse than what we already dealt with!

Great trip write-up and pics thread. Your little foursome seems to get in some really cool dives.

It really is great to have friends we love to go diving with...and enjoy spending time topside with as well!

Yep, this is so true. I feel the same way about my buddies.

Great trip write-up and pics thread. Your little foursome seems to get in some really cool dives.

Yep, this is so true. I feel the same way about my buddies.

Thanks, Sam!

So much of my joy from diving is directly associated with the fun people with whom I get to share these experiences. It's about so much more than just the time spent *under* the water. We really are blessed.

I am a little late to this thread.....

BRAVO! What and great report and super pictures! This report and pictures deserves better than the Socal section of the SCUBA Board. It should be shared with the masses but if La Buffadora is anounced to the world,it will soon be like Divers Cove on Saturday morning--best it be keep in the family!

The following reflecions on La Buffadora has been extracted from my past writings which I would like to share with you and yours

" "La Buffadora" is a spanish name, which best translation is the snorting sound a buffalo makes, but for so many visitors it is simply known as the "Blow Hole."

In the early 1950s was in college and had been a goggler/skin diver for 5-6 years. We had heard via the "grape vine" that the road to Ensenada had been paved and the water (at that time) was crystal clear

During the Christmas break of December 1951, four hardy young college students were off on a Mexican diving adventure. The paved road stopped at a movie house near Hussongs Cantina.

We headed for the water and a shock of our young lives..the water was bone chilling! Exposure suits--wet suits were many years in the future..we like most SoCal "divers" were using GI surplus wool sweaters and long johns for thermal protection which was useless in the fridged Mexican water.

So a walk around town, a huge bowl of turtle soup,with great dissapintment we slowly headed home to SoCal.

After college and my Koren war obligation to Uncle Sam was fullfilled, I returned to my beloved SoCal -by then the wet suit had arrived and dive manufatures and divers had increased like two rabitts in a 3 foot cage.

One of my first post USAF purchases was a WW11, surplus 4x4 1942 Dodge ambulance, which was modified with a roof rack made from a bed frame, jerry can racks and a bench seat from a civiliain automobile.

The first test trip was to La Buffadora. We cramed 3 or 4 divers into the ambulance and an equal number in a late model (1950s) civilian auto and away we went off to high adventure.

The year was about 1956 or 57, Ensenada was still a small sleepy fishing communiuty, every thing south of there were just small villages with names like El Cepress, Los Olivos and of course Mandeneo at the end of the paved road was just a small Mexican government building where toruist were required sign their name and to pay a $1.00 US tourist tax.

The turn off to La Buffadora was about a 100 yards south and from then on it was dirt road. Away we went down that deserted dirt road. Our mission was to find and dive La Buffadora, which we did --it was difficult to miss it was at the end of the road.

We had 3 great days of isolated camping and virgin diving in an area that had seldon seen a diver. Every day we feasted on a varriation of sea food, lobster, scallops, fish, breakfast lunch and dinner.

Then the final night of our adventure it began to rain and rain and rain. The next morning we hastlily packed up and departed. Once again away we went with my 4X4 leading the way, with the auto following, but not very well. It was certainly not an off road vehicle, every so often I would stop to attatch a rope and pull the auto out of a rut or dislodge it from a mudd hole, all the time it was raining and all the time we were soaked and miserable.. After seven (7) long hard wet miserable hours we reached the main paved road. Thus ended my first trip to La Buffadora.

Not detoured by the rain and mud of this trip I returned many times in the years following.

A few years later the land around La Buffadora was aquired by a rich and powerful Mexican Army General and not to any one's suprise the road was paved to the end. Construction immediately began on a hotel resort above La Buffadora, but for a number of reasons construction never progressed past the foundation stage which is still visable..

Now the area has transitioned into a often visted tourist- dive- camping area with all the facilities of a modern week end dive resort.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A previous poster stated;

"In recent years with the "lawlessness" south of the border, we've been making fewer trips down there.
We used to make non-diving trips down to Puerto Nuevo, too, but our friends grew tired of getting shaken down by the Policia.
It's too bad."

There is a lot of truth in that statment!

Be careful, travel in pairs, never drive at night, always aquire Mexican car insurance,( Lewis & Lewis) and never carry a lot of visable cash.

The Mexican police are known to target tourist for real or imagined volations which can be settled for a fee paid directly to the officer. This is very common, so much so it has a name of "Mordita" translated is a "a small bite." A few dollars- paid and the tourist has been relived of hard earned Yankee dollars they are on their way, "no violation with a donation."

SDM

Great post, Sam. Thanks for the historical perspective. I'm sure it's changed since your first trip, but probably a lot less than our SoCal sites. Still has a rugged feel down there.

@Rainer: Just another word of caution. A few years back, we were returning from Puerto Nuevo and were coming back through Tijuana. As we neared the city, we saw that the Mexican police had created a suspicious detour -- signs were posted to re-route to another path to the U.S.-Mexico border. Our caravan consisted of a handful of cars strung out over several miles. Cars in the advanced group followed the signs to a cul-de-sac in the maze of TJ streets, whereupon they were shaken down for "mordita." The kayaks and expensive dive gear in the back of the cars/trucks probably helped the police identify how much $$$ they could extort from our friends, who didn't agree to the bribes until they were threatened with jail-time. The stragglers saw the "detour" signs...but refused to follow them and made it through to the border crossing without incident. Beware "detour" signs. It's like the Wild West down there.

One Baja trip without incident is not an indication that it won't ever happen to you. It's just one datapoint. If you continue to go down there, at some point you will encounter the criminal element, which may or may not be masquerading as the military/police/government agency. As it happens with greater frequency and your experiences become more colorful, you'll probably reconsider whether it's worth it or not to go down there. Our circle of friends has decided that there are adventures in other parts of the world that are more worthwhile. It's too bad. The diving there is great and not too far away, particularly if one lives in San Diego.

Great post, Sam. Thanks for the historical perspective. I'm sure it's changed since your first trip, but probably a lot less than our SoCal sites. Still has a rugged feel down there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A lot of important detail is now in danger of being lost as half-remembered...

At one time there were enough veterans still around who could remember those early days and were able to set the record straight, but no one really sat down and bothered to write it all down.... Time for me is running out very quickly and histories will be lost to all but well-intentioned speculation to I think, I heard, I suspose, I believe when everyone who hs experienced and knows for certain has passed on.

The torch of La Buffadora diving history has now been passed to your hands,

SDM

What a great thread! Tnx Liger, DNS crew used to make a yearly trek to "Dales" and the adventure was always great. Launching your own Panga and diving deep and cold was always fun! Bringing back some of the biggest and best scallops and Lingcod from the eastern Pacific is awesome. I've shy'd away from Baja these last years and feel for Dale.

This report is inspirational!:cool2: I know Dale has a dinning establishment in another town, but I feel bad for not running down there to keep this unique dive Opp available.

I'm glad you guys had a good time! Thanks for posting your report.:D

Back
Top Bottom