Labuanbajo - an option for Komodo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markb

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone I've decided to fly to Bali and try and get up to Komodo in November.
As usual I will be sorting everything out as I go, staying in budget digs and trying to get the best deal from the dive shops when I'm stood in front of them. I can't work out from posts on here if
Labuanbajo is a good or bad place to stay for getting out to dive Komodo and to stay in generally. I like a bit of party, good food and not too much hassle.
The liveaboard out of Bali option is too expensive and I prefer land based in some ways.
I've read that you can get reduced rates on short notice so if anyone knows the best way to sort that out I'd appreciate the info.
Anyone done Komodo 10+ dives while based in Labuanbajo and can you advise on the best way to do it please? Also any advice on getting up to Labuanbajo, places to stay, dive shops etc.

Thanks everyone and safe travelling

It's pretty far out to Komodo proper, but there are lots of day boats. We did 5 dives over two days, and I would do a Liveaboard next time. There are a lot of very budget LOB options out of LBJ, and Scuba Junkies resort is another option if you want land based and don't mind being a little further out.

Hi. Would you do the LOB because of the distance/times to and from? I guess they were long days?
How did you find LBJ as a place to stay?

Cheers

Yeah, distance. Good hour and a half to the closer central sites. Boat was comfortable, but it's almost more time there and back than spent diving.

LBJ was rough and ready. Harbor town, with the associated smells. Dirty water (sewage) around town itself. Decent food (some really good Italian even, oddly), some cool bars, but not a huge party place.

Yes that's what I thought although it sounds like they are promoting the place now as an up and coming spot. Thanks for the info.
Did you dive in Bali? If so how does it trade off withnkomodo?

The diving in Komodo is fantastic. Bali is great also. Lembongan for drifts along nice reefs, Manta action at Manta Point, and a shot at seeing Mola Mola. Then Tulamben has great muck and nice reefs also. And then for your party scene hit the Gillies.
If your not a fan of muck, Komodo is prolly a better choice, it's not an up and coming location but has been rated as some of the best diving in the world for years. I'm a uuuuugge fan and have been 3xs and I would go back in a heartbeat.

KOMODO LIVE ON BOAT

TOUR ITINERARY:

DAY 1 : LABUAN BAJO-BIDADARI-KANAW-GILI LABA (-/L/D)
Meeting point in Airport of Komodo-Labuan Bajo/your hotel at 07:00 local time, warm welcome and briefing by the guide then transfer to harbor to catch the local wooden boat and sail leaving for Bidadari Island for snorkeling, relaxing and sunbathing. Thousand species of corals and fishes flowered the spot with beautiful of white sandy beach. Spend the time 1 hour then sail to Kanawa. In this unforgettable beautiful island the shore, white sandy beach, corals and fishes refreshed your mind with relaxing, snorkeling and swimming. Lunch will be served on board. Afterward sail to Kalong for sunset trekking. Dinner & overnight on board.

DAY 2 : GILI LABA-MANTA POINT-PINK BEACH-KALONG (B/L/D)
Breakfast on boat, after breakfast start our sailing to Komodo Island with a stop in Karang Makasar for snorkeling. This snorkeling spot show us beautiful of corals and if we are lucky can see Manta Rays and we can snorkel with the Manta Rays afterward sail to Pink beach. Refresh your mind with beautiful of corals and thousand species of fishes flowered the see and sunbathing in the Pink Sandy beach. Lunch will be served on boat. Afterward sail to Komodo Village to see local community live in this dry island then sail to Kalong. Dine & overnight on boat.

DAY 3 : KALONG - KOMODO - ADAR-RINCA-LABUAN BAJO B/L/-)
Breakfast on boat while sail to Komodo National Park, take 30 minutes sailing from Kalong to the Park. On arrival in the park the local ranger will give a short briefing before trekking. A short trekking will take 1,5 hours to see Komodo Dragon and other wild animals live in this island and view the shore panorama the top of trekking way. Afterward sail to Padar for a shore panorama trekking. Lunch will be served on board. Afterward sail to Rinca. In Rinca Island we will have short trekking to see Komodo Dragon and other wild animals then sail to Labuan Bajo. On arrival in the harbor our driver will drop you to your hotel.

Back
Top Bottom