Laguna Beach Resort Closing - Utila Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Own the Pearl".

That is based on a pretty loose definition of ownership. Internet info was it?

"Own the Pearl".

That is based on a pretty loose definition of ownership. Internet info was it?
It's on the Internet but was also mentioned to me by Steve Fox - the owner of Deep Blue Utila resort - when we rode by the Pearl one morning.
Caribbean Pearl II

Honduran luxury liveaboard the Caribbean Pearl.

This is the Bay Islands only liveaboard. Owned and operated by local businessman Troy Bodden (also of Laguna Beach Resort), the Caribbean Pearl ll was formerly the Utila Aggressor. Honduras - Utila Resorts

Last edited:
8 in two snorkel dives though?
8 sharks or the same shark on 8 breaths? How long can you hold your breath?

Our first whale shark encounter in Roatan was about 4 minutes long before it swam out of view

Our second whale shark was in PNG. We spent over 30 minutes at 60 feet...

8 sharks or the same shark on 8 breaths? How long can you hold your breath?

Our first whale shark encounter in Roatan was about 4 minutes long before it swam out of view

Our second whale shark was in PNG. We spent over 30 minutes at 60 feet...
8 total sharks over two hour long searches over two days. Probably a dozen drops total. The rest of both afternoons was a bust. Mostly 16' or so juvenile males - we had a shark researcher on the boat to id them - and one larger female that crossed under the boat and made one circle before diving deep.

One of the last juvenile males showed the vertical feeding near the surface for about 5 minutes also - that was the longest experience. Of course that was the one jump I decided to leave the video camera on the boat...my buddy shot some good stills though.

Last edited:
So, I finally heard back from Laguna Beach Resort and they confirmed what giffenk said.

I also got a little more info as to exactly when they're closing; May 28th. They're apparently accepting bookings up until that date.

our travel agent (squba holidays way up here in the great white north) is working on hooking us up with a relaxed week of diving on utila. Our preference is to make the second week happen on utila.

working on hooking us up with a relaxed week of diving on utila

I stayed at Deep Blue Utila about 5 years ago - older property but clean and well kept but that was before they had the problems detailed here: Deep Blue Resort Utila (Honduras) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

I won a trip to Deep Blue (auction) but before I did, we were going to stay at Utopia Village Resort which looks like it might be the best option left - maybe always has been the best on Utila. Being farther west it's quieter also - access is via their boats.

Loud music in town is a consideration since you mention relaxing - there's a lot of backpackers/DM trainees in town. I don't know which resorts are in that area. Hopefully your T/A knows.

One that isn't that I know nothing about except location is Coral View Resort As they mention they're 20mins. from town but still on the town side of the lagoon channel so walkable/rideable.

Last edited:
lots of rumors around the island about laguna beach but closing at the end of june seems to be what everyone is saying

lots of rumors around the island about laguna beach but closing at the end of june seems to be what everyone is say

As I said in an earlier post, LBR finally responded to my into request today; there will be no reservations that last beyond May 28th.

I wonder what will become of the property. It was such a nice secluded laid back place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom