Lake Huron - Ironton located

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scanned quickly, and didn't see it... How deep is it?
Should be in the 300' range. They are installing one of NOAA's new deep water moorings on it. Below 300 and they wouldn't be mooring it for divers. I am told it is less than 10 miles from the Ohio which sits in 300'.

Found this online. Looks pretty cool. About
Yes, it's cold for us southerners. But in the summer, there are several shallower wrecks that people dive in wetsuits. There are remains of a couple of wrecks right in the harbor--decayed but still interesting. The deeper ones like the Arabia may be more photogenic, but if you're fascinated by wooden wrecks, Tobermory is within road-trip distance. We had some Canadian friends who owned a vacation home there, but they spend more time in Florida nowadays.

Depth is I think is 315' is what Dan Fountain said.

I think a honorary mention of Dan's search up there is in order as he did discover both the Ohio and Choctaw several days after the NOAA AUV recorded data on it. Dan put 2 years of searching in for the Ironton before it was found. If I heard correctly it is only 3 miles away from the Ohio.

Beating NOAA to the Kaliyuga and Thousand Islander is top of our list.

Yes, it's cold for us southerners. But in the summer, there are several shallower wrecks that people dive in wetsuits. There are remains of a couple of wrecks right in the harbor--decayed but still interesting. The deeper ones like the Arabia may be more photogenic, but if you're fascinated by wooden wrecks, Tobermory is within road-trip distance. We had some Canadian friends who owned a vacation home there, but they spend more time in Florida nowadays.
I will have to add it to the bucket list! :)

The Arabia and the Forest City (Sweepstakes is something special) are the crown jewels of the recreational wrecks in area. Regrettably, the Forest City is losing the battle with the stern rail taking a beating, and the deck slowly giving way. Most of the others are pretty bad timber piles or hunks of machinery. The Tugs are pretty interesting if marine architecture is of interest as the stern rail of the one is very nice.

The harbor rugs are really nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom