Lake Tahoe fatality - Nevada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Not much in the news story. We can only hope that locals will post what they know...

INCLINE VILLAGE, Nev. (KOLO) - The death of a diver in Lake Tahoe is under investigation. North Lake Tahoe Fire responded to an emergency at Diver’s Cove at Sand Harbor on Sunday, June 18.

A spokesperson says crews rushed to the area to help a distressed diver. The male diver was taken to Incline Village Community Hospital where he later died.

No other details are being released at this time.

Second-hand info, but word is that it was an instructor who suffered a cardiac event while attending to a panicked student. I was diving a few miles away that day, and the conditions were quite rough. Diver's Cove is pretty protected, so I imagine it was better, but still very windy with whitecaps. Incredibly sad all around.

Edit: This has been confirmed by another source (first responder). The instructor went up to help a panicked diver. Upon surfacing, the diver was struggling due to the rough conditions. The instructor apparently attempted to give the diver his regulator, but the diver was uncooperative. During this incident, the instructor, who had pre-existing cardiac issues, suffered a heart attack.

One of my favorite Tahoe dives was at San Harbor during a hail storm. Gearing up in the restrooms was awful with the hail hitting the plastic corrugated roof. It was louder than any concert I've attended. We had to run to get in the water, but once we submerged it was calm. Watching the hailstones shoot through the water reminded me of a James Bond movie.

Edit: This has been confirmed by another source (first responder). The instructor went up to help a panicked diver. Upon surfacing, the diver was struggling due to the rough conditions. The instructor apparently attempted to give the diver his regulator, but the diver was uncooperative. During this incident, the instructor, who had pre-existing cardiac issues, suffered a heart attack.
If he had pre-existing cardiac issues, should he have been on the dive? I guess only his cardiologist could answer that.

His name was Shaun Larson...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom