Last Minute Florida: Good Snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeacockMantis

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

Just booked a last minute to Florida and looking for some good snorkelling spots.

What I found so far is that there does not seem to be a lot of good offshore snorkelling. The best snorkelling seems to be a (look for snorkelling, not diving or party boat) boattrip from the middle keys.
Apparently I'm too late to see +he Manatees (is this correct)?

Any help is welcome

Thanx,

Hi,

Just booked a last minute to Florida and looking for some good snorkelling spots.

What I found so far is that there does not seem to be a lot of good offshore snorkelling. The best snorkelling seems to be a (look for snorkelling, not diving or party boat) boattrip from the middle keys.
Apparently I'm too late to see +he Manatees (is this correct)?

Any help is welcome

Thanx,

Where in Florida are you going to be and when?

It's past peak season for Manatees but it's not too late to see them, depending on where in Florida you are. You can see them throughout April in places like King's Spring in Crystal River, but that's in the Tampa area nowhere near the Keys.

If you're going to be near or in the Keys your best bet for snorkelling would be to go on a snorkelling excursion to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park with one of the many outfits that operate in Key Largo.

There's actually some real good snorkelling off Key Largo, but not off shore; you'll need to go on a boat.

You can snorkel in the springs where the manatees are further north but that's fresh water and though crystal clear and always 72 degrees or so there isn't a lot to see in terms of fish.

Again, where and when you're going is key here.

I think the average American has no concept of how huge Florida really is. Even if you get to the Keys, it is two hours from Key Largo to Key West. Depending upon where you are staying, a boat rip out of Key Largo (as already mentioned) or Looe Key might be your best choices.

There is only one place in the entire state of Florida where you can swim offshore to see a coral reef, or much of anything else alive. That's Broward County, Florida. From Hollywood up to Lauderdale by the Sea.

In the Keys, there is nothing to see unless you swim 4-6 miles offshore. The upper Keys have superior snorkeling offshore to the lower Keys, although Looe Key near Big Pine Key is good.

There are many springs in Florida that are good for snorkeling. Those are going to be in central and northern Florida.

I think the average American has no concept of how huge Florida really is. Even if you get to the Keys, it is two hours from Key Largo to Key West.
It is actually 2-1/2 hours if you run into zero traffic. Three hours on an average day. It has taken me as much as 8 hours.

Thanks all for the feedback.
We'll be going next weekend (for 2 weeks). Only booked the flight, so we've the freedom to travel around.

Blue Heron Bridge is generally regarded as one of the top shore dives in the US. I had students and a private guided diver out there today. great conditions and an endless array of amazing sealife!

Blue Heron Bridge is generally regarded as one of the top shore dives in the US. I had students and a private guided diver out there today. great conditions and an endless array of amazing sealife!

I've heard great things about it also, but with a caveat.

Never done it myself, but what I've heard is that the dive time is critical (has to be when the tide is still) and that the water is shallow (around 15 feet) and murky.

Apparently it's all about invertebrates?

This isn't what most people think of when they think "awesome dive" or "awesome snorkel" (and it really sounds more like a snorkelling spot than a diving spot).

But I STRESS I myself have never been there so I don't know.

I have snorkeled BHB when I forgot to bring my regulator...it's a fantastic dive, as it's all about macro, but it's a sucky snorkel...water not clear and you have to do a lot of breathhold diving to see the wee critters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom