Last Minute Florida: Good Snorkelling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have snorkeled BHB when I forgot to bring my regulator...it's a fantastic dive, as it's all about macro, but it's a sucky snorkel...water not clear and you have to do a lot of breathhold diving to see the wee critters.

So what do you typically see there on a dive?

Tiny macro stuff. Go to the Florida forum and read the posts on the BHB trolls thread. (I haven't actually dived it in five years due to not living in the area)

So what do you typically see there on a dive?

everything. yesterday included some barracuda, a couple of eagle rays, several lobsters, a bunch of HUGE parrotfish, big school of Atlantic Spadefish and tons of stuff too numerous to mention. It is like diving in a very well stocked aquarium.

Another thing that is interesting is something called an eco tour (various companies). They take you out and you may kayak or paddleboard (doesn't matter if you know how to do these things--they'll teach you) and then snorkel for some percentage of the trip. It's very shallow snorkeling (you can stand up) in the mangroves. The creatures you see are anything that lives within sponges (of course sponges are living as well). I've done these 2-3 times. Usually you see a lot of birds and larger creatures (rays, sharks, etc.) on the way out. I think you won't snorkel too long but these are interesting anyway. The ecology of mangroves is very cool. I couldn't tell you what company, but look for smaller boats and tripadvisor reviews. Expect to pay $80-110 for 4 hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom