Latex seals breaking down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey All,
This will be my first post here in probably several years. Popped in to see what was going on and this is one of the first threads I see... Guess what. I've got the Whites seal-goo problem too! Seals were fine when I put the suit up in October. Seals were all hand-washed in mild soap. A health issue kept me out of the water for 9 months and when I pulled the suit out of (dry dark room-temp no-ozone) storage the wrist seals both had random patches of this goo problem. The goo spots were like tar with no elasticity. Neck seal had been converted to neoprene, so no issues there. I've cared for latex seals for 20 years and never seen anything like this. This was my first year with a Whites suit (fusion bought used, suit is now 3yrs old). I've just replaced the wrist seals with permanent rings and silicone seals, so I won't be any further help with the goo thing, but just thought I'd throw it out there that it happened to me too.
-Ben

It is definitely known that ozone breaks down latex. But because I have had a horrible time with latex neck seals (not wrist ones), I am obsessive about protecting my suit from ozone or ultraviolet light. Yet the wrist seals in my Fusion turned to goo. The Mobby's suit I had had latex wrist seals that lasted over 250 dives, and as they went, they first began to crack and then got floppy, which is what all the failing neck seals I have had have done.

The goo problem was only with the original seals I got with my Fusion. Whites advertises that they have a proprietary formulation for their latex, but with the story of the Bare suits doing the same thing, I guess it isn't that.

OK guys...................My buddy that runs the drysuit demo trailer for the shop that he works for dives a Fusion (nice drysuit). He will be back home on Monday. I'll speak to him and get his input about this goo thing. I have never seen goo on his seals, so I'm really in the dark. Unless I see a response that answers the question on this thread, I'll post an answer ASAP.

Muddiver, I haven't done that with this suit yet, but I have definitely done that before. Good to know about that, never would have considered it.

You know I wonder if it's something in my trunk... Maybe I'll start carrying the suit in the back seat.

I carry and store my suit in the bag it was sold in. It is a waterproof duffel that Viking provides with teh suit. That is probably what keeps it from getting ozoned.

The only bad thing I do is hang it in the back patio to dry after cleaning it and it gets some sun before I put it away.

I also have the bare trilam drysuit and my first pair of wrist seals lasted one season. They also started to break down and emit this black goo on my wrists. I replaced the seals and now I spray the new ones with a UV protectant on a regular basis. But on my old drysuit the whole goo thing never happened. They would just start to crack around where they join to the suit and then leak.
I think that whatever seals bare is using are just prone to that issue.

I have never gotten more then 1 to 1 1/2 seasons out of a pair of seals anyway.

JPB

I think the problem being described here is the latex seal material being used-not ozone, sunscreen etc.

We just went back to Neoprene seals, neck and wrist, a new very pliable material.

There are many sources for latex seals, some, obviously, better than others. The DUI
latex seals seem to work very well with a decent life span, also the USIA seals.

Our team is issued Diving Concepts Suits. Of the ten suits we have about three continually have the goo on the seals and also on the divers wrists and necks after a dive. It is the same divers that have the issues. I have had my suit for about five years and have not had any problem with the seals other than me ripping them. I store mine in the zip bag that came with the suit. I keep it away from all light and ozone as best I can. We have yet to figure out what the three divers are doing to their suits to cause this issue. If and when we figure it out I will post.

Hopefully if our grant comes in we will be getting all new suits and get away from DC's.

Back
Top Bottom