Lead Weights: Are prices going up?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are getting the shaft...

Dynamic_fChart_cPrice.asp

we used to get lead tire weights and melt them down to make fishing lures...you can make a mold

Paying 4-6 bucks per lb for weight is insane.... Go to Cabelas or some other outdoor store and buy some lead shot for shotguns... Cabelas sells it for 36 bucks for 25lbs... Go home and use your vacume pack food sealer and make up whatever size pouches you want..... They are durable and waterproof therefore no harm to the environment either...

They work great.... I have made up over 100lbs of it varying from 2-5lb weights and have never had one bit of trouble with them.

Samson

That is a good idea. Never thought of it.

You guys are getting the shaft...

Dynamic_fChart_cPrice.asp

Lead diving weight is expensive....probably more expensive than it should be assuming perfect business conditions and the current price of lead. In house processing costs represent much of the price, regardless of the price of lead. I would also expect that Sea Pearls (and other companies) are currently suffering from forward metal buys made months ago, at higher prices. As inventory at the manufactures sells down, and assuming that the price of lead continues to fall, I expect to see these prices decrease.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

The selling price of lead doesn't correspond with market prices. All ferrous and non-ferrous metals have gone way down, as far as selling or recycling...but try to buy it...wow.

I like the Cabelas idea,

U/O

The LDS clerk said the higher prices were due to the expense of disposing of the waste product after making the material/weights.

I too like the Cabela's idea and may look into doing something similar in the future.

I bought 2x3# Sea Pearls today at Scubatoys. Came to about $2.50/pound.

I bought some of Ebay for 1.50$ pound and free shipping. It was 4.50$ pound at my local LDS.

You have to figure in the shipping. A major additional expense for us when talking about sea pearls or other dive weights here in Hawaii. I bet you can find a really good deal on weights if you buy used, just may take a little longer to get exactly what you're looking for.

Weights have definitely gone up over here in Hawaii over the past year so what the OP experienced is not out of the norm. I cannot believe the Ebay price posted above and that it included shipping! The internet never ceases to amaze me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom