Legality of "cave fills"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please become at least a contributing member or 40 bucks to much for you cheap !@#$%^&*()

Technically it is illegal to overfill a cylinder and offer it up for transportation. You will never get a gas supplier overfill your welding cylinders. Normally they monitor temperature of cylinder whilst filling and compensate for heat. The DOT fill pressure is at 20* C (68* F)

That said your cylinder, your fill station, your risk. Yes, I have done many many... cave fills. Risk is low. Remember there is a huge safety in the design of high pressure cylinders. The test pressure of a 3AA2400 is after all 4000 psi. I have never doubled up on a burst disc as some idiots do.

In all the years of hydro testing 10's of thousands of cylinders we have only had one destructive event in the hydro bath and that was a CO2 cylinder well under its rated test pressure. (Bottom of cylinder blew out) The reason CO2 cyls are hyroed every 5 years is with moisture CO2 creates a mild acid and can lead to cyl degradation. Another subject.

Scuba cyls which are visualed annually are extremely safe. Industrial cyls are only visually inspected at hydro, i.e. every 5 or 10 years depending service, DOT classification, or born date of a steel cylinder. If a cylinder is UT inspected it may never be internally looked at. A bone of contention as far as I am concerned. That is another subject.

I think that the words “in commerce” are important here somewhere.
I have a compressor, I cave fill my tanks, I transport them to the dive site, I have not broken any regulations, I am a private person not a commercial entity.

Once moved from one place to another it is in commerce.
Did anyone receive compensation to transport them.

I have a compressor, I cave fill my tanks, I transport them to the dive site, I have not broken any regulations, I am a private person not a commercial entity.
Right. As @cerich pointed out in post #43, just after the post you quoted. The article Chris linked to says that under the DOT's interpretation of the regulations:

(1) an individual who transports his/her own scuba tank for personal, noncommercial use (e.g., recreation, sport fishing) is not subject to the HMR; (2) a scuba instructor who transports scuba tanks for use by his students as part of their instruction is subject to the HMR; and (3) a boat repair facility that uses scuba tanks as part of its examination of a boat’s hull and repair operations is subject to the HMR when it transports the scuba tanks.
https://danielstraining.com/faq-whats-in-commerce-mean/

Yes. Please thrash me more daddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom