Lembeh...meh...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im sitting here banging my head against the wall. Your pic posted there Dan just made me realise what I thought was a clump of algae or perhaps a baby deformed orangutan crab being picked apart by a triggerfish and paid very little attention to because im not a fan of titan trigger fish......WAS ACTUALLY A HAIRY OCTOPUS!......no wonder my guide kept point at it!

Oh well..guess I can cross that off the list...pass me my magnifying glass please

Im sitting here banging my head against the wall. Your pic posted there Dan just made me realise what I thought was a clump of algae or perhaps a baby deformed orangutan crab being picked apart by a triggerfish and paid very little attention to because im not a fan of titan trigger fish......WAS ACTUALLY A HAIRY OCTOPUS!......no wonder my guide kept point at it!

Oh well..guess I can cross that off the list...pass me my magnifying glass please

I wish I saw the hairy octopus. The hairy clump that my DM kept pointing at to me was turned out to be a hairy shrimp. It was probably about 1mm size. I didn't know until I blew the picture up. I have never got a good picture of it just because I have a sucky point & shoot camera & it was difficult to point to a little moving dust. The picture I posted earlier was from someone who graciously posted it in Google, not mine.

The first one is the blob - had no idea what it was, but the guide was excited.
Hairy-1.jpg

In this one you can see the octo - barely.
Hairy-2.jpg

I hate you. I hate everyone who's seen a hairy octopus. 8 trips to Lembeh. 8. FFS.

But back the OP I guess...Look, I get that some people don't like macro or muck diving. I love it, but to each their own. I think what baffled me wasn't that you didn't like it, it is that you weren't aware that it was that kind of diving in the first place. There's a reason Lembeh is pretty much the top of every macro or muck diving "must do" list. 10 seconds on Google (or even this forum) would have sorted that one out.

But anyway. I'm off to Anilao next. More shiny!

I hate you. I hate everyone who's seen a hairy octopus. 8 trips to Lembeh. 8. FFS.!

I've only seen 1 hairy Octo so don't hate me that much. But last year in Lembeh that's all I was asking for and we struck out. Another photographer at the resort got a hairy and blue ring in one great photo! I'm stuck with the few so-so photos and some good video. Good reason to go back! Have fun in Anilao!

DanT I have moved from my Canon s95 to a Canon sl1 hoping that I'll be able to get better photos of those dang little hairy shrimp. And they're cousins the skeleton shrimp.

Nice hairy October shot Darnold9999.

Yeah, Alor might be on the cards next year. Depends on work (that unfortunate thing I must do in order to afford dive trips). Looked into Alor for Christmas but all the resorts looked to be shut up (assuming weather related seasonal closures?), so ended up booking flights to the Philippines instead.

I hate you. I hate everyone who's seen a hairy octopus. 8 trips to Lembeh. 8. FFS.

You know I did think of you when I realised hahaha.....sorry mate....but omg how stupid am I? LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom