Lembeh Water Quality??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a night shore dive at Kasawari Resort we saw a deceased puppy floating near the dock as we got out of the water. There were tons of crazy critters to see, but the trash, "other stuff" and that poor puppy made us skip any further shore diving the rest of our time there. None of us got sick or had any ear issues, and I would go back in a second. We loved diving there.

In the hundreds of dives before my Anilao trip (first time muck diving) I'd never had so much as a hint of an ear issue. But on our Anilao group trip, about 30% of the 20 divers, including me, had an ear infection for some or all of the trip. One of the dives sites, which we did multiple times, was right by a village and was the obvious trash can for that village. Used diapers were mixed in among the crisp wrappers, tires, laundry detergent bottles, and even tang packets. However, this is also where we saw the Rhinopia! So, good with bad.

I wish I had been more aware. I didn't use any prophylactic measures. I had brought antibiotics for potential stomach issues, so I started taking those as soon as I confirmed an infection. I didn't miss any dives, even though my ear was throbbing. But I've always had a very easy time equalizing. Many others missed multiple days, and went to the doc in Batangas City an hour away. I don't think it would prevent me from going back, but I'd sure be more careful next time.
24404099954_03c2941500_z.jpg

There's a trick I was taught by my son (not sure from whom he learned it): taking a tissue (one sheet of toilet paper works well) by the point, twist it into a wick that can be threaded into the ear canal. This takes some practice, but it breaks the surface tension of the water in the ear and allows it to run out. I do this after each dive then again at the end of the day after I've used vinegar alcohol drops. I find this more effective than constant use of drops alone. And yes, I know you should never stick anything in your ear but this has worked for me.

FWIW, Lembeh was even worse years ago. And Ambon makes Lembeh look pristine.

+1

.......... I learned about keeping my reg mouthpiece out of the water. I never leave it dangling in the water, I always hold it above my head until it goes in my mouth, or hold it up until my gear is lifted onto the boat. Force of habit now - I do it everywhere.

So,------ I'm sure if I'm your buddy on a dive, I'll get your primary ------if I happen to need some 'extra' air.............Thanks for thinking of me so much.......Just please don't waste too much time between your mouth & mine...:)....ie don't let it dangle long....

So,------ I'm sure if I'm your buddy on a dive, I'll get your primary ------if I happen to need some 'extra' air.............Thanks for thinking of me so much.......Just please don't waste too much time between your mouth & mine...:)....ie don't let it dangle long....

If you were in a position where you actually needed my spare air, then you'd be less concerned about maybe potentially getting ill from the water than you would about safely getting to the surface, right? Priorities :wink:

If you were in a position where you actually needed my spare air, then you'd be less concerned about maybe potentially getting ill from the water than you would about safely getting to the surface, right? Priorities :wink:

Got that straight-----I might pull your catheter out hoping it had some air in it........I play for #1 @ that point......:)....

Overall it was the first time I ever got an ear infection. I'm not super experienced with 160ish dives, and the same for my husband with 250+. I hadn't done rinsing after each dive but the husband did. We both got infected. I got treated, got back in the water, with rinsing my ears and got reinfected.

We both went to put GP on return and got antibiotic drops to bring along for our next trip in Sept (Maldives), so hopefully it won't happen again. We're also going to use one of the concoctions mentioned above.

I have to say Lembeh was fairly amazing in terms of critters but gross in terms of just about every dive site but one. I don't think I'd return.

Wow Maat! I must say you and I have been to very different dive sites.
Almost all the dive sites I've been to were away from the immediate villages and either in front of resorts or out in the open. Places like Hairballs (in front of a resort), TK 1, 2 & 3 (in front of another resort), Nudi falls (along a cliff face), Angel windows (away from everywhere), Air Bajo (no village) etc etc...... Most actually had very scenic settings.

But then again the guides often chat to each other and if certain critters are being spotted in alternative locations, which could mean closer to villages, then that is where the guides would take you.

I know that we all have different opinions on places and have different experiences and yours certainly did not sound great!!
I can definitely say your trip sounded significantly worse than any of my previous 3 trips. So either I've been super lucky or you were just really unlucky!

The reason why places like Lembeh or Ambon harbour are such good muck sites are because of the organic nuitrients in the water!!
Personally, i find lembeh clean compared to ambon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom