Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ghostdog72

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can anyone make any suggestions as to what light to buy for a backup light.
I want to use it it on day dives on the walls and reefs.

R105T HANDHELD DIVE LIGHT-Technical-A Lighter Ocean with Ano Dive Lights
I just bought a pair of those for backup spot lights. High quality, reasonable price.

Cave Adventurers - Explorer back-up lights - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Also have these which are super nice, just more expensive. Same as the Hog Morph lights but much cheaper. Snazzy backup lights that make great "lite" primary lights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8Z7PZ...UTF8&colid=20R1B8EYPPCRL&coliid=IPJFBTD2D2FQT
and have one of those which is also a very nice light. *have to buy batteries and charger separate though, which is fine by me since I know it has good batteries going into it*

for what you want, a light sock may be a good decision so you don't have to hold the light all the time. All of these have a nice tight spot beam which you want for daylight looking around, are small enough that they are unobtrusive, and fairly inexpensive.

We have several lights and the one I like the best for day and looking into cracks and crevices has a focused beam of light - more of a spotlight than covering a large area. It's an Aquatic Aqua LED 250 Lumen Torch - they make better ones now, I'm sure. But the key (for me) is to have a spotlight that gives a fair amount of intensity in a smaller area.

This is my favorite:

D26 XM-L2 LED Diving Flashlight

They are under $60 on eBay, with no battery or charger. I liked my first one so much, I bought a second one just to have a spare. They use one battery (a 26650 rechargeable), so they aren't too long to be comfortable in a soft mount on the back of my hand. They last a long time on one battery. They have 4 brightness modes plus a strobe mode. And they are bright. And well made. And they have a push button on/off, which can be locked to prevent accidental on or off. And they have a colored LED to indicate battery charge status.

Those two lights replaced my second favorite:

DGX 600
DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®

$50 with an okay battery and a charger. It's about as bright as the Xtar. They have the same single LED emitter. But, it's a smaller battery (and smaller overall size, which is good). And it only has one brightness level, so you can't set it lower to make it last longer. And it's twist on/off, which takes two hands.

I also have one of these:

EDI-T cheap Chinese light
5000LM Ultrabright T6 26650 LED Diving Flashlight Torch Light Waterproof 45MX

$25. It's okay, but it's not any brighter than the Xtar - just has a little bit broader beam. But, the light head is so much bigger I find it annoying. But, it IS only $25...

With good batteries, the DGX600 will easily last an hour and a half. If I use it much on a dive, I put in a fresh battery before a second dive. The Xtar light takes a bigger battery and I feel comfortable using it two dives on the same battery. Especially since the Xtar has 4 different brightness levels. I would have no problem using it on the same battery for 2 night dives (i.e. it's on for the WHOLE dive). I would just use it in Medium brightness (out of Low, Med, Hi, and Turbo). Medium is still plenty bright for almost any need during a night dive.

+2 for the DGX 600. Great little light.

there is also a two battery version for a bit more runtime but for the size and cost I run two DGX 600's with a handful of spare batteries in the dive tub.

We are currently running a special on our Recreational/Backup lights. We have them on sale for $75.

- 1000 Lumen output - very bright
- Battery level indicator light
- Solid metal construction
- Zip-up storage case
- Charger
- Spare O-rings included

Spare batteries are inexpensive as well, and the charger has a spot for a second battery.

There are of course many good options right now, but I am slightly biased. :)

Deep 6 Backup Light - Backup and Recreational Lights - Lights

I use I-Torch.Got rid of can light use this as my primary no cable
image.jpeg

what timbo72 said! These little DGX lights rock. They are super bright and can't be beat for the price.

If you are interested in the Hog lights Tbone refrenced above Piranha has them for a really good price.

LED Back-Up Lights Products

There are other lights that are just as good for a little less money. The Chinese lights are really getting better. I have really been impressed with the Big Blue lights. I was in Cozumel a few weeks ago cave diving and the caves there are very dark for the most part. A buddy of mine bought a 30k lumen Big Blue video light and an 18k handheld primary. I thought he was crazy for using such a big primary light but once in the water it wasn't bad at all but it really put out a lot of light. I would put my 3500 lumen Underwater Light Dude light in his beam and my light disappeared. He was lighting up passages that I couldn't see. It was amazing. I am seriously thinking about getting me one before my next trip back to Cozumel. If I was a high end light manufacturer I would really be worried with where the industry is headed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom