"limp" SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unless I'm in a cave, I always carry 2 marker bags. Yes 2, even in a quarry (which is one of the best places to practice). I usually shoot the 3.5' one from 20' and use it to alert the boat to my position. If the boat doesn't see that one or is busy picking up other divers, I inflate the 6' one on surface. One breath in the 3.5' bag is all it takes. In the Red Sea, my wife and I did this on every dive from the RIB.

I have shot the 6' bag from 70' twice, put 2 breaths in it and found it full at surface. You can listen to everyone here and decide for yourself. I decided one breath into a 3.5' bag at 20' to be less risky. And if I were to shoot a 6' bag from 70', I would only put 2 breaths into it or whatever you could do to hold it there. You do not want to try to inflate a 6' bag at 70' with your regulator. Imagine being 'free-flowed' to surface from 70'. I don't need to go into entanglement, etc. Everything we do should involve a risk assessment. Minimize your risk and you will dive again next week.

While I'm on the soapbox I'll say, if you bring 2 bags, use them. Do not put one in your pocket on a waistbelt and let it go for 50 dives, dry out, rot, mildew, and expect it to be there when you need it. After every trip I inflate both of them and let them dry out in the garage.

I use a Buddy(1.5m) smb with OPV. Always ascend horizontally unitl the last metre. The boatmen never complained of NOT spoting the smb from distance. It takes time and practice to deploy a smb "properly erected" from 6m and I use my primary 2nd stage to inflate it.
Respect! You can ascend horizontally. But why does that trump the safest practice for the local? And what does "properly erected" mean?

Fully inflated and stand up.
There are a number of reasons I don't bother attempting a horizontal ascent with my big marker. In addition to my surface support I want the marker visible to other boaters. When I hang on it vertically, I know it is upright. Also while vertical, I am scanning the surface as well as the area around me for cool stuff. My buddy and I were hit by a boat in the pre-sausage days so I am very cautious when I ascend.

As I said earlier I was flamed when somebody posted video of me while vertical under my marker. I feel much more in control and aware doing it that way.

Like other posters have said it's easier to fully inflate a blob from depth - I usually send mine up before I begin my ascent. If you want to send up a fully inflated DSMB from safety stop depth the easiest way to do it is with one of these :)

There are a number of reasons I don't bother attempting a horizontal ascent with my big marker. In addition to my surface support I want the marker visible to other boaters. When I hang on it vertically, I know it is upright. Also while vertical, I am scanning the surface as well as the area around me for cool stuff. My buddy and I were hit by a boat in the pre-sausage days so I am very cautious when I ascend.

As I said earlier I was flamed when somebody posted video of me while vertical under my marker. I feel much more in control and aware doing it that way.
The body position is NEVER an issue for me.
A fully inflated and up-right smb is MORE visible than a "limp" one. The main objective of deploying an smb, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom