Lionfish eradication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the community. Bermuda is lucky in as much that it is a small community and people are starting to all pull together. If areas can be identified to put the robots they could make a difference...... i imagine in many countries they wouldnt be so fortunate.

It's an interesting concept but not one that I feel will prove to be a practical solution, not anywhere this stage of its develoment anyway. As I understand this, it will be remotely operated, the cost alone of such a gizmo will be prohibitive. Realistically, how much fish will they then turn in for that outlay?

All the reports so far I have seen/read show the robot attacking fish in the open (due to their size and approach) are on fish that are out in the open, what about the majority who live under ledges etc?

I think it's great that the problem is receiving some coverage and "out of the box" thinking, but would have to be turned by some serious results in order to take this seriously.

I applaud their ingenuity, and not to burst any bubbles but I feel that robots are no better a solution to the problem than divers with pole spears. Traps are the way to go. Creating a trap that will catch Lionfish only and exclude others is the trick. There are a few promising designs out there that are worth looking at, such as the Frapper trap. Click here to support Lionfish Trap by Bob Hickerson

Divers are the answer, IMO. At least until predators begin to start eating them on their own.

I think regulators should let rec guys sell them to fish markets with a cheap license and you'll see big increases in harvesting.

The small license fee should simply cover the cost of maintaining a database on who is selling, when they're selling, where they're selling and how much they are selling. A simple app would be great. Take a picture, add the data (count, weight, general location, who bought it) and submit it. A very strict civil penalty should be imposed on the buyer and seller if a rec. Lionfish buyer and seller is caught buying or selling any other species.

I've been posting this for a while. Maybe someone will consider it.

Divers are the answer, IMO. At least until predators begin to start eating them on their own.

I think regulators should let rec guys sell them to fish markets with a cheap license and you'll see big increases in harvesting.

The small license fee should simply cover the cost of maintaining a database on who is selling, when they're selling, where they're selling and how much they are selling. A simple app would be great. Take a picture, add the data (count, weight, general location, who bought it) and submit it. A very strict civil penalty should be imposed on the buyer and seller if a rec. Lionfish buyer and seller is caught buying or selling any other species.

I've been posting this for a while. Maybe someone will consider it.

There is no doubt spearing helps in very localized areas, but it does nothing for the Lionfish that are well beyond 300'. Beating them back helps, but overall it is likely a losing strategy. We will never completely eradicate the Lionfish I believe and removing them one by one, by hand is inefficient. I kill thousands of Lionfish every year in a very localized area, and they just keep coming back.

As far as a cheap easy way for the average Joe Spear-fisherman to sell his catch, this already exists in Florida. All you need is a $50.00 SPL permit, and you are on your way. FWC even has a list of stores that will buy them by the pound. Last time I checked, the wholesale price was hovering around 3-5 dollars per pound. For more info check out their website Saltwater Fishing Regulations

There is no doubt spearing helps in very localized areas, but it does nothing for the Lionfish that are well beyond 300'. Beating them back helps, but overall it is likely a losing strategy. We will never completely eradicate the Lionfish I believe and removing them one by one, by hand is inefficient. I kill thousands of Lionfish every year in a very localized area, and they just keep coming back.

As far as a cheap easy way for the average Joe Spear-fisherman to sell his catch, this already exists in Florida. All you need is a $50.00 SPL permit, and you are on your way. FWC even has a list of stores that will buy them by the pound. Last time I checked, the wholesale price was hovering around 3-5 dollars per pound. For more info check out their website Saltwater Fishing Regulations

I think it's a little more than that. You can't fish commercially off a recreational boat.

$50 Individual Saltwater Products License.
$50 ? Minimum Commercial Vessel Registration on top of the standard cost for registration.
$XX Increase on your boat insurance because now your vessel is considered commercial.

I'm sure there's probably some other costs as well. Will a wholesaler buy from an individual person or does the check have to be cut to a commercial company? If a company then we have the other costs that go with setting up and maintaining a business.

This is not what I was suggesting.

I think it's a little more than that. You can't fish commercially off a recreational boat.

$50 Individual Saltwater Products License.
$50 ? Minimum Commercial Vessel Registration on top of the standard cost for registration.
$XX Increase on your boat insurance because now your vessel is considered commercial.

I'm sure there's probably some other costs as well. Will a wholesaler buy from an individual person or does the check have to be cut to a commercial company? If a company then we have the other costs that go with setting up and maintaining a business.

This is not what I was suggesting.

There are plenty of places buying them, and I have yet to hear anyone question whether they came from a recreational boat or a commercial boat. Many are listed on the FWC site that I linked to above, right below the section where they encourage recreational divers to spear and sell their catch! I know plenty of people that sell them, and plenty of local markets that are happy to buy them. One of them will even drive to you to pick up your Lionfish and buy them. Most just want to know if you have the SPL, and if you want cash or store credit. This is commonplace here in South Florida. I would say that at 3-5 bucks a pound it is not worth my time or effort to bring them to the markets, or wait for someone to pick them up I give mine away to people that will eat them.

What did you have in mind? If you have a great idea, please share it with FWC! Or share it here, and I will carry it to them for you. They are very responsive, and in my experience they listen to what divers have to say, especially about Lionfish.

I heard about an effort being made on one Caribbean island to encourage the local population to introduce Lionfish into their diets in their homes. It isn't easy, because the mind set is very traditional, but it is starting to work. Local divers and fishermen are now reenforcing the efforts of recreational divers and dive operators. Great idea, in my opinion. An out-of-the-box, hearts-and-minds kinda thing.

I'm an animal lover, not a hunter, but I would gladly kill every invasive Lionfish I saw if I could.
Sign me up.

I liken the delusion that speros can make a significant impact on the Lionfish invasion to thinking that you can get rid of the mosquitos in the forest by slapping every one you see. Or, that you can get rid of the Zebra muscles in the Great Lakes by scraping a bunch off your boat. There are just too many Lionfish in areas inaccessible to divers, and the reproduce too quickly.. They will repopulate any areas cleared by spearing in quick fashion. Look at how fast their invasive spread has been from a relative few specimens. It does not matter how valuable you make Lionfish meat, you will not be able to hunt them to extinction. Perhaps a shift in natural predation or a disease process might wipe them out, but it seems unlikely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom