Lionfish Pole Spear Rigged to my Speargun...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuzzA

Wetwork for Hire
Reaction score
In an effort to make harvesting Lionfish while spearfishing safer and easier I rigged up an @MAKO Spearguns pole spear to my RX5 Speargun.

I tend to hesitate to shoot the bastards because they kill your spearfishing time and they're more dangerous whipping around a single free shaft when you're trying to clip off their spines to string 'em.

So what I did was drill a hole through the aluminum pole spear and put a stainless steel split ring through it. I then put a small stainless steel bolt snap on the band. This will keep the band secure and the rig streamlined while fishing and not in use.

I then tied a line around the paralizer spike which conveniently has a couple nice groves in it and then tied that to the spike cap.

I had some extra clips from a previous project that fit the pole spear perfectly. So I attached them to my gun and now I'm good to go. This clips can be bought here. MAX-GAIN SYSTEMS, INC. : Shallow Water Anchors - Fiberglass rods to MAKE YOUR OWN!

I'll be diving Monday and report back a review.

20160819_184705.jpg
20160819_184525.jpg
20160819_184556.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool. Let us know how it works. I shoot lions all the time, got tired of stringing them & bought a special (tough) bag with a one way "valve" kinda like the lobster motels. This way I don't have to deal with the spines until I'm back on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom