List of what lenses work with which ports on oly housing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it's not a macro lens, but it's so sharp and I've been disappointed with the 14-42 at the long end.

The only 'real' difference between a standard lens and a macro lens is the latters ability to close focus. . . .
So why not add a 'dry' diopter to the 45mm and get it to focus closer, a lot closer???
Bruce

So why not add a 'dry' diopter to the 45mm and get it to focus closer, a lot closer???
Bruce

I tried this. It worked but you end up with a very narrow focal range. This can cause issue on focusing on a subject just out of the range.

Now if a Whale Shark swam past there is no way you could ever get a pic of it.

Now if a Whale Shark swam past there is no way you could ever get a pic of it.

I wouldn't think that you would be too succesful fitting a whale shark into a 45mm (80mm equivalent) field of view?
Horses for courses man, if you're using a 45 then you're in macro territory not whalesharks!!!
Try keepin it real?
Bruce

The only 'real' difference between a standard lens and a macro lens is the latters ability to close focus. . . .
Bruce

Yes, I have some dry diopters and intend on trying that.
As Packhorse said it narrows the field of focus, so you really have to know what you're going after if you do this.

I'll try it both ways.

---------- Post added May 12th, 2012 at 11:56 AM ----------

Chris196: that's a good question. The answer is that the zooms come close to the end of the dome, but there is still some clearance. I have added some test shots to my Flickr page to illustrate this:

1) This shows the 9-18mm Olympus zoom inside the dome at maximum extension (= 9mm FL): 9-18 Olympus zoom in Precision dome | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2) Here's a test shot taken with it at the same setting: Test shot - Precision dome & Olympus 9-18 zoom | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Phil

Thanks, that's very interesting.
I wonder if there are IQ trade offs using the 9-18 behind the precision dome as opposed to the Zen 100 port.

It would be very nice to be able to have one port and switch between the 14-42, 9-18, 8FE, and 45mm oly.
Very versatile. The Zen dome I have allows for all except the 8mm.

Also, which camera/housing is this? epl1/2/3 or epm1

I wouldn't think that you would be too succesful fitting a whale shark into a 45mm (80mm equivalent) field of view?
Horses for courses man, if you're using a 45 then you're in macro territory not whalesharks!!!
Try keepin it real?
Bruce

I was trying to make a point.
With a dry Diopter you have a very limited area of focus. I found it to start close to the housing and extend to about 200mm max. There is no way you can remove the diopter underwater so you are stuck with a macro camera. If you spot something else you want to photograph that is further away than 200mm you are ship out of luck.

Is that real enough for you?

---------- Post added May 13th, 2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

View attachment 124026

Here is a pic I took with dry diopter and 14-42mm lens.

While I am pleased with this pic I found it far to limiting.

I also took this pic with out the diopter. Due to where the shrimp was in a crack there was no way I could have got the shrimp in focus with the diopter.

View attachment 124027

Last edited:
I don't think this list is for 4/3rds set ups but just for the record. I use a 14-42 & the 50mm macro in the standard PPO-E05. Works fine. If you want to add the EC-14 you need an extension piece ($140).

Just for interest sake, has anyone either used or seriously investigated using the Olympus 50mm F2 macro 4/3 lens in a micro 4/3 set-up?
I'm wondering if the 50mm plus adapter will fit into the standard zoom (14-42) port or if it would be too long or too short?
If someone has used it, could they please chime in and help out?
Bruce

Back
Top Bottom