Liveaboard - change itinerary for ribbon reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done the far north itinerary, the Cod Hole itinerary, the Taka GBR 3 day itinerary, and the Yolanga on separate trips. My honest advice is that GBR diving is Meh at best, and if I had any advice to give it would be to fly from Cairns to Madang PNG and dive there. If your heart is set on diving the GBR, then wait for a Mike Ball slot to open up, because being on a Mike Ball boat is worth the mediocre diving, but if you are just going for amazing diving, you won't find it on the Great Barrier Reef. It is worth changing your itinerary to go someplace awesome, and there is awesome diving in that part of the world, but in my opinion, the Great Barrier Reef isn't it.

The OP isn't even certified yet. From memory, Madang isn't exactly what I would call an appropriate destination for an inexperienced diver.

Hmmm. We had someone with us that was on OW5, her first dives after certification, but she was a natural. You could be right, I was a DM at the time. Still, your advice is best. If she will never go to Oz again, she should make every effort to see the best Oz has to offer. I used to travel that part of the world fairly often, so I had time to not dive and go to Ayers or the Daintree or PNG or wherever instead.

The OP isn't even certified yet. From memory, Madang isn't exactly what I would call an appropriate destination for an inexperienced diver.

It's true. Not certified yet. Was actually wondering if the Ribbon Reefs would be too advanced for us? Not that we are scared :wink:

@Wookie: I seem to recall some pretty serious currents ripping through there. Which is fine if you're comfortable with that. Lots of new divers aren't.

Hmmm. We had someone with us that was on OW5, her first dives after certification, but she was a natural. You could be right, I was a DM at the time. Still, your advice is best. If she will never go to Oz again, she should make every effort to see the best Oz has to offer. I used to travel that part of the world fairly often, so I had time to not dive and go to Ayers or the Daintree or PNG or wherever instead.

We actually have a lot of time - we were planning to also go to Daintree and stay at the Orchard? Randomly saw it in a guidebook. Sounds like it's a good idea?

It's true. Not certified yet. Was actually wondering if the Ribbon Reefs would be too advanced for us? Not that we are scared :wink:

You'll be fine. It's relatively shallow, and minimal current :)

@Wookie: I seem to recall some pretty serious currents ripping through there. Which is fine if you're comfortable with that. Lots of new divers aren't.
Dumb question - are people uncomfortable with them because they can take you away from the group? Not sure what we should be considering in all of this. Need to do that dive course. Would love any tips!

We actually have a lot of time - we were planning to also go to Daintree and stay at the Orchard? Randomly saw it in a guidebook. Sounds like it's a good idea?
Daintree or Kuranda. Cape Tribulation if you will have your own car.

You'll be fine. It's relatively shallow, and minimal current :)
ah ok.

I would like to think we'll go back. But then again, these liveaboards aren't cheap. If we went back to this part of the world I think we might consider New Zealand instead since we haven't been there either. Sounds like perhaps we should do Brisbane -> Sydney -> Brisbane -> Port Douglas -> Sydney -> LAX. Uff. That's a haul.

Dumb question - are people uncomfortable with them because they can take you away from the group? Not sure what we should be considering in all of this. Need to do that dive course. Would love any tips!

That, and not being familiar with how to deploy a safety sausage. They generally don't teach that in ow classes. But you're kind of just expected to know how to use one on drift dives.

Back
Top Bottom