Liveabord to the Ribbon Reefs form cairns in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devin95

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello

I plan to visit Cairns in May 2016. I like to do a liveabord trip to the Ribbon reefs and Cod Hole.

"Taka" has been sold and has left Cairns. :( The "Spirit of Freedom" vessel will be in maintenance while May. :(

The "Ocean Quest" or the "ScubaPro's" do only the reefs next to Cairns. That's nothing close to what "Taka" or "Spirit of Freedom" did/do.

What are the alternatives? Are there other operators in Cairns? Are there some liveabord trips in Port Dugels?

Mike Ball Dive Expeditions operates out of Cairns. Not sure what their availability is in May, but send them an email or give them a call. They're my preferred liveaboard anyway.

I dived with Mike Ball's Spoilsport in August and they were terrific in every way. Great crew, great dive guides, excellent briefings, superb safety consciousness. And the food and accommodations were good, too! I wouldn't hesitate to dive with them again.

Pretty much been covered here. Mike Ball is the only Ribbon Reef operator right now for May.

Ocean Quest etc offer Outer Reef trips and although the diving is good, the Ribbon Reefs and Coral sea are more advanced and more variety. These Ribbon Reef trips do book up very quickly though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom